1 Like

Sounds dead asfk like not good at all

Iā€™m one of them :wink:

1 Like

You never know before You check !

1 Like

I had loads of customers that have get away with a Jumped Cambelt

So donā€™t be to disheartened til you know the full outcome of an investigation

Time the engine back up and do a compression test yourself.

Cheers Rob

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t even know where to start to check Iā€™ve had a mechanical opinion that itā€™s game over for the engine but theyā€™ve not been inside it, Iā€™m kind of reluctant to spent the money and it turn out its knackered. I changed plugs and the front right was being hit so knocked engine off real quick, out new platinum plugs in and still same noise, but wasnā€™t hitting the plug as it wasnā€™t bent. If itā€™s defiantly knackered I donā€™t mind spending the money to have a new ingine put it/checked over ect. As I said car means a lot to me sentimental wise so cost isnā€™t a big issue

You can check the cam timing really quickly by removing the top cam covers and rotating the engine CLOCKWISE and see if all 4 cam wheels line up with their corresponding mark on the cam covers , wonā€™t show you where the crank is obviously but itā€™s a good quick check to see if the timing has slipped . If it has they wonā€™t all line up

Craig :grinning:

I may give that a go then, it sounds proper done for though the knocking/banging from back of engine sounds dreadful the stuff of nightmares haha :confused: I seen couple standard engines on eBay for same model for Ā£295 and Ā£350 but I dno what nick theyā€™re in, although itā€™s claimed they run

Second hand engines are always a gamble , you never really know , playing that game myself at the moment :thinking:

Yeah thing is I got no where near me who could even price up a rebuild ect on current engine, to give me a comparison on buying a second hand one or rebuilding on, I got indigosGT who are world class with evos but they know little to none about gtos :confused: as I said money isnā€™t an issue ATM itā€™s just sourcing my best path to take

Hi in my opinion you rebuild what you got it will possibly cost more to rebuild but you know then whatā€™s what ,like said if you buy second itā€™s a gamble unless you buy from someone in the club that perhaps broke a car down for parts.I personally would not trust buying second hand on eBay from someone I donā€™t know.
If you love her that much and cash its not a problem defo worth rebuild.people like @gsxrkid can help you sort out parts etc and advice.
Where are you based?
Maybe someone can recommend someone,like eurospec etc.
Or have a go yourself at it,jobs like these are painful but rewarding at the end and makes a bond with the machine.
Jerry

1 Like

Iā€™m based in South Wales mate, I just spoke to Ben at Euro spec quoted Ā£880+VAT to swap same engine in. So I was thinking maybe a rebuild but Iā€™m not sure how much Thatā€™s gna cost, Iā€™d love to do t myself but I pretty much have no idea and taking a task of that size on is kinda daunting. Yeah money isnā€™t too much of an issue within reason so my options ATM are a rebuild or swap engines over, but as itā€™s been said here itā€™s gambling on an engine, some one here recommended an engine to another owner an automatic jdm for Ā£295 but I thaught that was cheap

I had the same decision on mine and in the end Ive decided to rebuild it myself. I have no idea what Iā€™m doing but nothing has gone terribly wrong so far other than having to replace every sensor! Mine is a TT and so far I have spent Ā£3700ish on parts, but thatā€™s including some extra stuff, like rad, oil cooler and brakes. The way I see it Iā€™m never planning on selling the car so I may as well do a proper job of it. Iā€™ve about run out of budget at the moment, so hopefully it will be worth it!

2 Likes

im currently at Ā£15k on my rebuild and still isnt running lol,

i rebuilt my engine myself,with no clue what i was doing, i had most of the parts and tools already but if you got time and internet anything is possible, make sure you download the workshop manuals from 3sx for free and any questions just ask, most have been in the same situation so can all chip in some info, but yeah @GSXRKID will sort all the parts and even rebuild it if you still dont feel comfortable doing it yourself.

or for Ā£295 ben from eurospec will come and pick up the car and take it back to his garage, do a 60 point check and diagnosis, you can then assess the situation for yourself and go from there.

1 Like

I donā€™t rebuild engines as such, but i do projects that interest me.

So no i donā€™t re-build engines for just anybody i am afraid

But i can put people in touch with people who do

2 Likes

Iā€™m in Cardiff and currently doing a top end rebuild on my MK2 TT after a cambelt slip (6500 rpm on Benā€™s dyno) :anguished:
If youā€™re local and you want to have a look at what youā€™re letting yourself in for youā€™d be welcome to caome round and have a look - just drop me a pm :slight_smile: