3000GT / GTO values

Does anyone notice that valuations of 3000GTs and/or GTOs in the used market don’t really follow much of a pattern, unlike other marques? I assume it’s because the majority of the industry doesn’t know an awful lot about these cars.

I’ve started to look for a 3000GT in earnest now, and a quick sift through the usual classified sites showed me a scatter gun approach to pricing when compared to age, condition and trim level.

I realise that in the main, prices will be more expensive in the southern areas of the country, but even still it does have you wondering whether the stock UK model you’ve found, with the least mileage and on the most recent registration, is cheaper than older, more expensive ones because there’s something intrinsically wrong with it, rather than it being a superb example at a good price.

Just my tuppence worth.

L

I looked and drove alot of cars when searching for mine from 3-7k ive owned one before so knew what i was looking for.My first port of call was here as chances are the car will be looked after or have history you could go by.I spent 5k on mine an mr with leather,moonfoof after market rims and suspension,superdragger exhaust but apart from that pretty standard but very solid.You can buy a cheaper car if you want to throw 1000’s at it but it can end up a bottomless pit.Nine times out of 10 an enthusiast will sell you a better car but the price may seem high but it probably isnt,ive 9k so far into mine and if i offered it for sale at that iwould be laughed at,but thats what its worth in monetary terms now.There worth what your prepared to pay regardless of how much you spend you will still keep throwing money at it anyway,its very addictive.

4 Likes

I found they vary wildly, but I guess it’s the price that they sell for rather than what they are advertised for. For once dealer prices seem lower than private sales.

I’ve gone the buy cheap car and spend money on it route, mostly because then I can get the car I want. Time will tell if that was a good plan!

1 Like

the prices of our cars has risen lately and for known good build cars over 400 hp they are selling for around 9-11k which is a damn good price for a 400 hp beast

1 Like

Agree with Scott here. If they are a known car they will sell at a much better price. Anything that’s been on display at shows or wth a well known club member tends to do well too.
There are a lot of bad eggs out there and bad cars cost 1000s to repair.

4 Likes

Well as my dad said to me when I bought the car and did a 60k service and some stuff at eurospec (didn’t tell Mrs how much that was!) you can’t put a price on your enjoyment.

James

2 Likes

Don’t even want to go there, but have no intention of selling. The cost of every mot has been a nightmare alone without doing all the extra stuff.
2.3k oh that’s cheap! Another 8k sorting it to now, others have spent far more but ive sold and broken another car to cover some of the cost… Still hurts but do love him.
Dave

Like with other performance Japanese cars from the 90’s, the values are a bit distorted by the relentless supply of cars that dealers managed to import from Japan and passing on the hit from the poor £ to JPY rates to the hapless punter.

I paid a bit too much for my 91 GTO TT (it’s my first GTO so I wont kick myself too much) so experience counts when buying and paying out the right amount.

I still believe that exceptional and well cared for examples of a car will genuinely appreciate, you just need to advertise in the right market and the right buyer will come along.

Anh

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I realise that these are now slowly appreciating in value when compared to a few years ago. When I bought my first GTO in 2006, I paid 5k for a '91 TT with 96000 on the clock.

Now I’m looking around and I have seen auto models (admittedly immaculate) for about the same money.

But, to underline the point in my original post, I’ve recently seen the following for sale:
'95 3000GT TT, 90k stock @ 8000gbp
'96 3000GT TT, 71k, FSH, stock @ 7000gbp
'97 3000GT TT, 85k, stock @ 6800gbp

Maybe I’m a little out of touch, but to me the prices are in the opposite order to what you might expect on those. Don’t get me wrong, I will be buying right rather than buying quick, but it’s clear that there is a distinct lack of market knowledge on these, as it’s not just geographical proximity to London that has a bearing on the prices. Cue much scratching of head and rueful stroking of beard…

I believe one or two of those cars have been on the market since the summer, I am not surprised as they are trade adverts whom the seller is happy to let the car sit there until someone hapless comes along.

What these car actually change hands for and sold privately is another matter.

Anh

Absolutely spot on, Anh - I know at least two of them have been in the classifieds for a number of months.

In my opinion, all three of those examples are at inflated prices. But then price is relative, I suppose - someone paying any of those prices would obviously think the car was worth it to them.

Can’t believe that anyone clued up on a 3000GT would actually pay any of those prices though; there’s definitely room for ‘negotiation’.

Back to my original thought, it amazed me how much variance there is in prices. If there’s something for a prospective buyer to learn, it is to take their time, and do their research, thoroughly.

And I thought the Subaru market was tricky enough!

I know for a fact that at least 5x 3000GT’s that have been bough for in excess of £10,000 in the UK this year

and an immaculate MK1 that was bought for £7000 from the guy who restored it

And another one that was a performance enhanced car that went for even more

2 Likes

I remember seeing Gto Simons white one with the same body kit as mine going for +£10k

That is coming into us next year Steve for a big power upgrade !!

1 Like

I wonder if it’s still in the club? Was it bought by someone in to gtos previously?

Just looking at car prices and the prices of R32 GTR skylines , bleeding hell they have gone through the roof in a short amount of time :flushed:

2 Likes

What about Porsche 944s? Could buy a turbo one for 2k not that long ago

1 Like

Nothing quite that cheap on pistonheads now

1 Like

I’ve seen a few for 19k, insane prices

Oh well, in a few years I’ll be saying how I can’t believe I only paid 1600 for my GT!

2 Likes