About to buy my first gto

Hi All, some of you may remember me or even have met me at last year’s jae event when Steve was amazing and took time to help…do…my stickers for me on a beaten up honda for the princely sum of a cake. (Thanks steve) now, almost a year on. I am about to buy my first gto. However, it’s not cheap and I don’t want to buy a lemon. So a cry out to somebody not wearing rose tinted glasses, in Leicester area that’s willing to meet with me before I view the car and cast a knowledgeable eye over my potential p+j.
James

4 Likes

Ah welcome to the club! There is a massive section on the forum labeled buyers guide. (Can someone link it? I’m only on via email ATM as signals bad)

There are a few members near you so hopefully someone can help. Also ask as many questions ok here you can, as you know already we are a friendly club!! :slight_smile:

Here it is:

1 Like

Glad to see you got on now buddy, put the details of the car up and see if anyone knows the car.

Steve

Hi fella good to see you here , i remember your old Honda and the wrap/stickers on it :sunglasses:

There are a few of us around that area or within travelling reach as Steve says though put some details up , we can help that way too

Craig :smile:

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome, I have read the buyer guide (alot of info to take in) so I have a few things I’m going to check…The car itself is a silver auto gto. Private plate that hopefully somebody will recognise it’s
Dui1828…The current owner has had it two years and has done alot of work to it, stuff that would have cost me a small fortune as im not mechanical like oil, gaskets, track rods ect…However. It only has 5 months mot and I’m a bit weary of laying out my cash on the word if the seller.there is no doubt he will sell it, but I’m not 100% if I’m the buyer. I have wanted one for years and years so I may be rushing into it. I know it will need work, it’s 24 years old, he says there was an advisory for driveshaft baring and depending on where you take it the front wheels…which is a new one to me. If he puts it in for the mot I’m picking it up next week (26/4) I don’t mind if it fails as long as I know why.

Be careful with the Autobox , have never driven one but know that an external oil cooler and decent oil and filter change are high on the list . Maybe @boo and @Marty_K could give you some advice of what to look out for regarding the Auto and driving characteristics to see if there is a fault as they are both mechanically minded have owned that particular model

Tbh. Iv just asked this guy if he will mot it. He says there’s no point as it passed the last one 6months ago…so I have offered him £300 more than the asking price for a new mot. If he turns that down, I know it’s fubar and I’m walking away…

He says he’s changed the oil in both recently, he has really put alot of effort in tbh. But with 5 month mot and being evasive about renewing it…its not worth the asking price…With an mot…its worth more than the others in my budget even though they have 12 months and lower miles…

Iv just seen another one I like…If i can work out how to upload a photo, can you have a gander and see if anyone knows it Please?
It’s a nice blue j725tne

you can save the picture to your desktop and then just drag and drop into the reply box most of the time.

Are there any members cars for sale that you’d be interested in.

Ok, so I have 2.2k. Out of which I have to put the deposit for insurance. So anything more than 2k is out the question Really. I know that limits me massively which is why the car I’m looking at is almost too good to be true…problem is, I’m not sure im willing to take the gamble and get stuck with a paperweight. But, iv had a few people offer me theirs. So if there is a sellers thread ill have a look at that…also.my laptop is broken so I’m using the mobile site and it won’t let me drop pictures that arnt from my camera…sorry guys and girls…

There have been some crazy price twin turbos lately selling with only a few problems less than £2k

Are you set in an N/A auto? I would hold out for a TT.

Id love a tt. But my loan has failed at the last hurdle so no gto for me just yet…sorry people, it was supposed to be finalised today but as I moved house and didn’t register to vote this year, it failed :cry:

Oh no! That’s a bit rubbish. I’m sure you’ll be able to find something when you have the funds. Good luck

Oh that’s crap. Try a different company? Don’t panic there will always be good motors on the scene for sale. And look at it this way… At least you can get to some meets come chat and learn some more so when you do come to buy you’ll be in a clearer picture :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As @Butler Says it gives you more time to ask questions and look around , why not pop to japfest and have a look at a few of the cars on the stand

1 Like

I’m now sulking because the guy has dropped it from 2.2 to 1.9k, so I’m looking at an fto for 500. Could I paint a g over the f and hope nobody notices? It’s the very rare compact…honest…

1 Like

Even though FTO’s are really good cars I would still hold out for a bit longer. Are you going to Japfest?