Advice for new member đź‘Ť

Hi there,
Just wanted to say thanks for the GTO buyers awareness course, I found the tips & advice real helpful, I made some notes that will come in handy as tomorowI will be getting to grips with looking at my first GTO. When I turned 25 which was 27 years ago now, I had a passion for the Supra and being legally of the agewhere I could own & drive one I bought a D reg 3L in Black, Grey Leather Interior, She was gorgous. I then decided to buy another Supra to use for spares,My D reg 3L turned out to be so reliable it never ever needed anything major doing to it apart from the usual. Years later I bought a J reg 2L Twin Turbo Jap Importwhich I’ve had for around 16 years, only now the Piston Rings need replacing, smoking heavey mainly on cylinder 5, Conducted a compression test on just that1 cylinder, No compression at all, Running real rough but immaculate to look at. I’m gonna keep her off road for a while, do some research for the parts etc andhopefully get her back in the land of the living soon.
The Mitsubishi 3000GTO is on a J plate, Silver, 97,500 on the clock, Twin Turbo Jap Import. The car is in showroom condition inside & out with new Alloys, Exhaust
and an entire leather interior refit, Lots of paperwork, The GTO is apparently 1 of 53 he has, He wants £6950 on ebay no offers, In your opinion do you think itsover priced even though she is immaculate? There are many photo’s showing off the Exsterior, Interior & Engine etc if you wish to take a look. Being a first timerhere with the GTO experience I would very much appreciate your thoughts on the price of this masterpeice, You may even save me the trouble of “Walking Away”,By that I mean, I get to stay in bed.

Thanking You,
J.Harrington

GTO UK

Welcome to GTO UK

···

On Saturday, 20 January 2018, 18:33, GTO UK [email protected] wrote:

Thanks for creating an account on GTO UK. Your username isjohndrumsharrington You can access your account area to view your orders and changeyour password here: http://www.gto.club/my-account/. |

GTO UKIf you need support contact: [email protected] |

2 Likes

Post my moved to public from committee inbox to get member’s comments.
Thanks Dave

Welcome to the club @johndrumsharrington
Great introduction.
It might help to add a link to the sales add/pics of the car.
A member may know the car you are looking at.
Even if none of us know the car we would all love to have a nose at it :wink:
Jensen

Hi and welcome to the club.

I’m guessing this is the car you are referring to?

If it is, on face value it looks really clean and well looked after, only inspecting and driving it will actually tell you the whole story. The buyers guide on the main page here would be invaluable to you.

As for the price… 7k for a perfect example would be worth it imo, the cheap ones probably want that much spending on them anyway. It’s just a question of how much your willing to pay for one and making sure that you thoroughly check over any car and know what to expect.

Good luck hunting and be sure to become a full member as the wealth of info on here is priceless.

Jus

2 Likes

Also worth checking mot history. Use the .gov Web site.
Just gives you a little heads up on any possible issues and an idea of how well it’s been looked after.

Welcome to GTOUK John, here You can find lots of help take Your time don’t rush into buying one , if You willing to spend 7k You can get a good car, may also find one in here . If the car is the one Jus pointed it does LOOK in a very good condition in fact all cars this dealer got ( too many ) LOOK great.
This dealer is trading since Jan 2012 on ebay but there is not any feedback as a seller :thinking:
Good Luck

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the group
Heads up my Gto came from this seller just something to bear in mind you going right into the middle of London so London price tag . Yes the cars are good condition as confirmed by the garage I use but over the last few months I’ve had the car there’s been a few little electrical probs which could be age related are as found from group common ie speedo intermittent new sensor needed.active aero none active parts missing .climate control screen fizzed out etc silly things so check everything but in the end it’s a good solid car
As for the seller he’s very good with the chat so keep your mind on the car and bargain with him you can move him on price.
Good look mate

1 Like

Hi John you can buy somkin dave Perkins cars who is gtouk club Secretary member.

He’s spent alot money on car about 12k plus and car is well know to club.

Mint show car will no problem at all.
Looks for somkin post and you will fine all details.
I think that car will be best for you and won’t give problem for many years and it’s also has full engine rebuilt about 20000 mile ago still like new.
Also everything is almost like new and 100% fully working cars.
This car has all history and well know to club.

That dealer don’t have must history as that dealer just buy and sell so he’s not driving car for long periods and they all park up till they sell
Cheers

1 Like

Hi dave i don’t know that person but i did try to bid upto £4000 but lost signal in my shop.
Therefore i have lost auction.
My last bid is was go though 3500.
Ebay raja786honda.
Than i enter ÂŁ4000 but my phone lost signal so lost auction.
As you can see my gto is broke down at moment.
Therefore i have try to bid so i can keep your gto in club.
And that why i was selling my gto so i could buy your one.
But unfortunately my did’t sell due it is broke down.
I have already left my gto in Birmingham work shop for repair but they are very busy so didn’t check it yet.

So i don’t know that person who has won auction.
You can post my usb.
If he don’t collect it than let me know so i drop deposited and pick up as arranged.
It’s bad luck i cannot won auction due signal problem.
Also i have told u that i am selling my one than i buy your one as i don’t want well know show car go to idiot person who may be don’t look after somkin well.
Therefore i have try to keep it in club and car can stay in front of your eye.

Sorry for if i hurt you in anyway.
I was trying my best to buy your gto.
As i also have some money problem with my shop due it’s rent very high otherwise i could have buy it straight away last time i spoken you.
Cheers dave

Hi Justin, Thanks for your advice on the GTO and yes you guessed right. Spent almost 4hrs Scrutinizing the beast and its mountain of paperwork which looks in order, The high quality pics taken in natural light did’nt reveal any body blemishes at all, In that respect I was pleased with today’s GTO inspection,“Absolutely Flawless”.
However, there were a few things that did catch my attention, Today was rather cold so I expected Exhaust Condensation during a cold startup at idle, After warming her up then test driving, Condensation continued. Also when warmed up & during all stationary periods during the test drive the Rev Display never dropped below 1200, Is this normal? Only it seems quite high to me but then again, Im very much at the 1st grade level myself regarding these engines. Closing both doors produced different sounds, Passenger side quiet, Drivers side a little clunky. It has a Blitz extra Turbo Booster wired into the cockpit which does switch on but is never used by the seller so it was never demonstrated, Im thinking wired in perhaps but just not set-up/programmed? Baffling none the less. The biting point on the clutch seemed quite near to the floor?. Some Under-Body Corrosion (MOT Advisory) Thanks JR. And lastly on inspection I found a gaping hole where once (In the pics) there was an audio system, I’ve seen the replacement he has for this but is yet to be hooked up. An added bonus I did’nt know about “New 19” Tyres" So thats a result. Regarding the GTO’s price tag coupled with all that caught my attention, In my opinion the car is a little short of perfect (if the above issues I have are anything to be concerned about). So there has to be Seller Flexibility here which I’ve made clear and was’nt rejected at all. As I mentioned earlier, 1st Timer / 1st Grader. Any thoughts or advice from the GTO’s In The Know would put my mind at rest.

Kind Regards

Jonathan.

http://forum.gto.club/t/gto-jerks-when-at-slow-speeds-slowing-down/75498
have a read through that got some info on idle speeds
and how to adjust it

Yeah 1200rpm is too high for idle. The steam could be a number of things, depending on how far you test drove it, it could still be condensation in the exhaust. It could also be running rich which could indicate other issues. I’d want to be seeing how it behaves at the correct idle speed.
As for the clutch… Well I’m not the person to ask, after 3 different clutches my bite point seems too high to me as it’s near the end of the pedal travel and I would expect it to be nearer the floor.
The clunky door is probably due to its age and the fact it’s been used the most.

Good luck
Jus

Was the window open by any chance when you shut the door ? They rattle terribly , not heard one yet that closes with a nice solid thud with the windows up or down

1 Like

Hi if clutch is near to floor and on low biting point so that means clutch is like new and in good condition.
Check all gear should change smooth and no thurt bearing noise from gear box.

1200 rpm is due could be multi reason.

That’s probably because car was park for long periods and running rich so that why it’s bit steamed exhaust.
Also could be due old fuel in tank.

It’s better if you can adjust idle rev to 600 or 700 rpm to see how car is running.
And it’s easy to adjust and take about 5min.
You will need 10mm key spanner to adjust and flat screwdriver to adjust fuel on th throttle body adaptor.
As alec already sent you a link to see.
How to adjust.
If you can’t do than ask seller to take it to workshop and get sorted out so you can do retest drive or take your mechanic with you to check it thanks
Thanks

High idle on an import is usually caused by the ECU harness wire on Pin 66 being snipped to get past the 112 mph speed limiter.

Another awesome grey import jap crap bodge we have to live with unless you have a reflashed ECU or standalone.

Hi there Raja

I did notice on the dash behind the steering wheel that all the gauges had the white background where as the oil, turbo & engine temp had the black background, Im wondering if the white background on the rev display has been placed over the original black background causing the rev needle to perhaps get stuck, When tapping that rev needle it did fluctuate to slightly lower readings but never got anywhere near the 600/700 mark. When checking the documentation on this GTO, there in the folder was the oil, turbo & engine temp white backgroungs. I will delve into this rev problem on a second drive test. Also the windscreen vents did’nt seem to sit right, its as if they had been removed and not put back correctly, unless these vents have a habit of curling up at one end due to heat, either way that dash has come out at some point changing only half of the dash backgrounds.
One other thing baffling me about this GTO, Where the Roller Blind would normally sit, in place of it there is a reinforced steel bar bolted left and right, This would have to be removed in order to re-fit the Blind back into place. The seller mentioned the idea of this reinforced bar was to keep all 4 tyres firmly glued to the road when taking corners at speed which seems logical, But could it suggest this GTO is perhaps involved in racing?

Kind Regards

Jonathan

Common for a rear strut brac to be fitted so don’t worry about that , dash vents have a habit of cracking so may have lifted , been glued or new ones fitted and siliconed in

1 Like

Thanks Fella

Getting closer to a 2nd visit / test drive.

Kind Regards

Jonathan.

1 Like

Yes, pretty much most modified Japanese grey imports on ebay and the usual sites have been thrashed by people back in the late 90’s and 2000’s, and giving MOT stations annual backhanders so they can get a pass.

I just don’t understand why someone would buy into a 1700 kilo grand tourer and hack their interior and ride quality because of the theory you can corner faster with such mods.

1 Like