Big thank you to andy aka

Just sending out a big thanks to andy who very kindly lent me some cam lockers and even dropped them of on his way home was very much appreciated as this will save some skin lol as those cams are like razors

2 Likes

No probs @petermartin2009, take your time with it and have fun. I’m always on the phone if you need a hand, watch this video if you are not sure on something, it’s a good video with most of the info you need. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQxcHcUbOs4

Remember, four teeth anticlockwise whilst you set the marks on the cams then one tooth BTDC when the belt goes on.

I might call you today anyway as I’ve just thought of something, did you set the timing correctly before you took the belt off? If not you may need to find out where TDC is before you put the belt back on otherwise there is a chance you’ll be 180 degrees out of time. Which is bad!!!

Edit: AKA, what? Haha

Make sure you come to the AGM, you will have a great laugh.

1 Like

AKA what? Is that a general question to everyone lol

No, Peter said big thanks to Andy AKA.

Yeah aka… Also know n as… Beanus, jack black, Andrew, :wink:

3 Likes

Lol was meant to say beanus I just forgot to write it haha

2 Likes

This is something that catches a few people out. I have only replaced belts to these engines as a matter of servicing, and not post belt failure, and not too long ago I had the same question in mind. Yes, to save yourself any unwarranted anxieties regarding timing points v spark sequence, it’s nice to stop the engine and set it at the appropriate timing points before you remove the old cam belt. However, those who haven’t had that luxury before the belt let go etc will firstly be rebuilding their engines before embarking upon a new belt fitting. But…as long as you set the cam sprockets at their little v-casting/punch mark points, and the crank sprocket at one notch anti clock from TDC, your piston and valve timing will be correct. The spark sequence is “wasted spark”, your crank and cam sensors will determine the spark and fuelling sequence correctly.

Mike

2 Likes

When I did the belt on my silver one, yes, I now have two, uhhuu, two GTO’s. There were so many marks on the cam wheels, that when I asked Mr Evil, he said line the sprockets up with the markers on the cam covers, nothing should go wrong then, don’t forget to turn the bottom pulley back one tooth too otherwise it will not run properly. Have fun, I did, :laughing: :laughing:

Terry :sunglasses: