First GTO ..MK1

Listen to it when its started. Alot of these get lifter tick. If yours does personally i wouldnt go 10 50 but stay at 10 40. I tried the 50 and got lifter tick after heavy driving so assumed the oil began to get to thick to coat the lifters properly. Switched back to 10 40 and i get a small amount on start up and thats it. As for brand good choice thats what i use

Thanks for the advice mark0

Guys is it still possible to acquire the padded heat protector that is fitted under the bonnet.The one on mine has perished and i could do with a replacement …

Hi Alan, welcome aboard buddy.

Steve

Welcome along mate a wealth of information in these pages👍

Yes it is , best bet is a main dealer as they are really really fragile and don’t like being posted , best bet is to order one and check it before you take it .

A lot of these type questions are on the site if you do a search using the search engine we have on here , which to be truthful is one of the best search engines I’ve ever used on a forum , only thing is as a new member a lot of the function of the site isn’t available to you as yet , as a full member though there is a vast amount of data within the site

Craig :grinning:

Thanks alot guys .i look forward to finding out all i can about these great cars…is the handbook i linked above worth investing in?

That book is ancient and i would recommend getting the memory stick manuals off the club and getting the repair data as well, as the book you have linked from ebay was a owners hand book not the workshop manuals you will need in the future.

Cheers Rob

I will reply to your earlier post in the morning regarding parts

1 Like

Cheers…i need an owners handbook anyhow as there is no service history with the car…i want to log my services…can i acquire one from the shop?..

Welcome buddy. Look forward to seeing some pictures. As others have said sign up as a full member. For the £20 it costs you will get an invaluable amount of information on all the technical pages. As for the manual definitely get it from here rather than ebay. The one on here is used and loved by owners from the club so you know what you are getting. Ones on ebay could be anything. There are a couple of other NI owners knocking around. There is definitely one on facebook that i dont think has made it this way yet. I will ask her about good service places and pop up here if she knows of anywhere.

2 Likes

Sorry she doesnt know anyone as her Fiance does the work!

Thanks
ok so i can buy the owners manual here on usb ,but can i acquire the service book ‘‘paper’’ so i can keep my service intervals and milage logged?

Cant seem to be able to start a new topic?

Can anyone tell me the size of the oil drain plug and gear box drain plugs on a 92 mk1 …
I plan on replacing these with magnetic bungs…

Rob can give you the sizes, think the sump plug is 12 or 13mm, replace the washer so that it forms a good tight seal. The under bonnet heat shield as Craig has already said is best from a main dealer. I bought mine from the main dealer, tell him/her you belong to a GTO club and what discount can I get, I saved 20% so well worth it.

Oh! and welcome to the club, they are mad here but it’s great!!!

Terry :sunglasses:

Thanks Terry…
If yer reading this Rob let me know sizes for both sump and gear box
asap…is there a double sump in these gearboxes?

Terry ,how is the under bonnet heat shield fitted,screws or
glue?..wondering how easy or difficult it will be to remove the old one?..

thanks

You squeeze the clips with pliers and pull put the little circles mate its easy.

Have someone help you fit the new one as it will ‘fold like a piece of paper’ if you don’t, polish up the ally plate too, makes more bling underneath. :blush:
You can see my OCD too as all the clips face the same way :+1:

Terry :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks guys ,just contacted my local dealer and they have these in stock…

1 Like

Blimey thats almost unbelievable!! GTO parts in stock?

1 Like

Ok so got the car to mot and a few things needed attention
Its at the garage having the exhaust welded and a couple of inner drive boots fitted
All in all i was pleased at the outcome of the mot…As soon as its passed i intend having the brake discs and pads changed.Rob has offered me a set of DBA front discs which i will fit along with a new set of rear discs from my local motor factors.There is an aftermarket breather system fitted which i intend removing and replacing with the original box and as stated above the bonnet heat shield will need replaced…A full service is needed and a few bits of trim…passenger door speaker grill and drivers inner door latch surround and a damm good coat of polish and wax…When i get the car home i will have a few pics uploaded …

4 Likes