First test drive of a GTO

So today I drove my first GTO (in real life). I’m an aspiring petrol head so I don’t have experience of a lot of cars, so most comparisons will be with my 7th Gen 1ZZ (140) Toyota Celica.

It was a 5 speed 1992 import and the car felt really good. Before the test drive, embarrassingly, I managed to accidentally lock the keys in the car … I did not know that the car doors would automatically lock once I shut the door with the engine running …

Although not my first time in one of these, I was surprised by how large the steering wheel was; I’m 6,3 so had the seat right back but still had to manoeuvre quite a bit getting in and out. Power steering was a little heavy but not a problem. The ride was VERY smooth. Not a lot of torque down low but lots of fun once the turbo is spooled. Got that nice “Oh, is that how fast I’m driving?” - I can see I’m going to have to be careful once I buy one of these.

I appreciate the GTO is quite a bit larger and heavier than my Celica, but breaking seemed a little soft. Could be the system needs a bleed or new fluid. No judder and it was nice and even, but under hard breaking my mum’s Freelander feels more responsive. Gearbox was nice, a little noisy when changing gears but effortless compared to my Celica.

Saw the active aero go up once after I pushed the button (with quite a bit of noise) and then I didn’t see it move again. Not convinced it was working.

Still waiting for the other seller I’ve spoken with to get his car MOT’d but it should all be in order by next weekend. I’m very happy with my selection of next car / birthday present to myself and can’t wait to buy one of these.

6 Likes

Sounds like you have the bug now :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The GTO with stock turbos spools really fast compared to other Japanese turbocharged cars, once you’re in 2500 rpm or above you should notice a nice shove.

Sounds like the Active Aero will need attention, could be something as cheap as replacing the microswitches in the rear wing?

The GTO was never a car that had over assisted braking (neither did my old 2001 1ZZ Celica!), but if this car feels unassuring then budget in some new pads and fluid.

It is normally good practice you get an oil / fluid change as soon as possible when buying a 2nd hand performance motor.

1 Like

Fast spooling was what I had read and it was another factor in choosing a GTO. I guess I’m just not used to driving a FI car.

I’ll have fun fixing something like active aero so not a problem for me. First thing I did on my Celica was pads, rear calipers and a bleed - so maybe I’m comparing apples and oranges.

Assuming I want more from the brakes, has anyone on here done any mods? Branded lines?

Loads of info within the site regarding brake upgrades , from pads and lines to calipers and discs

All the technical sections though can only be viewed by fully paid up members .

1 Like

Good luck with the purchase. Active Aero symptom of the microswitches failing is to operate once and then stop moving from what I have seen on here so should be a fairly easy fix.

Also Mk1 GTO’s had smaller brakes compared to 3000GT’s (UK cars) and later GTO’s so that is the usual upgrade path.

Check out Rob at evilempire, he has a good selection of uprated pads.

Big brake kits are bit overkill for the road driving, but look flashy if you can stretch to them!