Gauge not working

Does anyone on here have any experience with non working fuel gauges. Mine doesn’t move at all , however, the low level light works. Any ideas?

wire broken
float in the tank jammed

1 Like

I had that with mine I had to bent the float connector on the float beside the fuel pump just to give a better contact .

That’s what I was thinking, something along those lines. I take it I will have to drop the tank right out to get to the sender unit.

No its under a plate in boot

1 Like

Here is few post regarding this problem, I hade the same problem back in July replaced the ■■■■■■ thing … sorted :wink:
of Fuel gauge issues mk3 n/a
http://forum.gto.club/t/fuel-gauge-stopped-working/70585

Some posts are locked down​ to full members, i can highly recommend you think of becoming a full member, there’s 1000s of topics and help available to full members.
Dave :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Dave, yes I do intend to become a full member. Someone said I have to
upload pictures of my car first, and I have not got round to doing that
yet, otherwise I would have already signed up. I will hopefully get some
pictures done at the weekend as I play with this gauge issue. I used to
have a muscle car which I knew inside out, this is my first Jap. car and so
the experience of other members will be invaluable.

2 Likes

Hi mate no you​ don’t need to post pics of your car at all Infact some never have.
You can sign up in the club shop any problems drop me a p.m.
Dave :+1:

could possibly be a bad earth if you havnt seen where the fuel pump is . the wires round the pump assembly in the boot can become corroded if not looked at and cleaned up

Had the sender unit out today and it all looks fine, I also have a spare set of clocks so I swapped them temporarily to see if the fault was that end, still no joy. Looks like it could be knackered sender. Has anyone had to change one, and if so where supplies them please.

Mines the same mate changed dials twice and the sender unit still nowt really doing my head in now

Me too, I am giving up. Just going to keep the tank filled.

1 Like

Try to open the floater box inside(on the sender unit) it’s a bit like a analogue watch there’s like a minute arm that moves and there’s dots so when the arm touches the dots it reflects on how much fuel in the tank, it’s very fine so maybe it’s not touching the dots you just bend it a bit more to make better contact.
I had the same ones and indeed it was that.
Hope it helps.
Jerry :grinning:

I have fitted two whole units and still nowt I even checked them with a multi meter

Assuming this is done via an earth reading in tank and a live to gauge ( wouldn’t want a live in the tank lol) have you cleaned up all around tank earth’s?
It must surely​ send a resistive earth back to gauge to measure the tank level on gauge?
Dave

Yes mate, clean up the earth tag was the first thing I did. I was hoping that would fix it so that I didn’t have to take the unit out.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have a break in the loom try a continuity test of the wires

Mark :grinning:

3 Likes