I'm a Newbie

Hi All,

I bought a 1991 GTO TT a few weeks ago and then discovered your excellent forum.

I found my car on here, it is the blue one with the smoking issue when coming off boost :frowning:

I bought it with the fault and it has driven perfectly all the way home (about 100 or so miles) and have now got it on the driveway ready for some work.

Plans -

Find out the cause of the smoke… I’m going to do a compression test and see what is shown, strip the turbo’s off and swap them for a rebuilt set of 13g’s and take a look at replacing the Valve stem seals.

Here’s to hoping it’s not rings, but if it is, no big deal, have a garage and have rebuilt a few engines so good excuse for a fully forged built and see what power these can kick out.

I will post some pics when the weather gets better, the bodywork is nice for the year and the previous owner has put a mk2 interior in there which looks quite smart

If anyone know’s the history on B7 DCA please do get in touch or let me know what has been done so far, would save me quite a bit of time :smile:

I feel a few rebuild article’s coming on :smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the club. First rule of GTO club is you don’t talk about GTO club. Second rule of GTO club is PICTURES!!! Sorry its been a long day! @GSXRKID is most likely to know the history of the car. He seems to know the history of every GTO/3000GT in the country. He is the one that will be taking all your money now you own a GTO.

2 Likes

Lots of pictures to come :smile:

Happy to hear it’s history, from what i have found on here it’s had three engines so far this year!

Hi fella welcome to GTOUK :sunglasses: you have come to the right place for info and help

Craig :smile:

Welcome matey, there is a write up somewhere on this forum regarding that car, for the life of me I don’t know where. Perhaps @DeanMarkTaylor can find it!!!

Get some pictures up and start a log in the technical section :+1:

Terry :sunglasses:

Welcome Andrew !

In the full-members section there is a post about the number plate being swapped between cars by both @gazz200581 and @Julian :
http://forum.gto.club/t/someone-else-has-my-reg/35498/12?u=deanmarktaylor

G’day and welcome to the club :smile: no going back now lol

Look forward to the pics and the project and restoration thread

1 Like

Welcome to the club and be good to see the pic’s when you get round to putting them up.

1 Like

Been a while, but finally have a weekend off work to man the spanners!!

First up is a compression test! Pointless pulling the turbos if the rings are borked lol!

Picked up some second hand known to be good turbos for it (original 9g’s) so if the compression checks out ok, I’ll swap them and see if it’s smoking after boost issue continues!

If anyone has ideas to try, let me know :smile:

Compression test is a good one to start with, cylinder leakdown test is another good one, Generally I believe if it only smokes on decel then the turbo’s are on the way out.

Have you checked to see if you have oil in the y-pipe?

There is a whole other list of things to check after you fix the smoking issue.

Lovely Colour…

Well, there is definitely oil coming out of the rear turbo by looking at the coating in the pipe work!

Doesn’t seem to be in the y pipe or tb though? Only smokes after coming off boost though.

Need more time lol!

1 Like

Well, today I took the horrid blue with flaky black paint wipers off and have been treating them with a wire brush, some etch primer followed by high build and a top coat of gloss black :smile:

Will look much smarter when they’re back on the car!

1 Like

I so need to do this, I went one further and bought a Compressor and sand blast kit. Gonna be nothing left of my car when I finally get around to sorting the rusty bits.

Lol I wouldn’t dare use that on mine…before I went for my mot and moved the car off the drive I noticed large chunks of rusty metal on the drive at the rear I have no rear crash bar left :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: oh well it’s gone off now to the welders several £££s later it will be back hopefully strong for another few years, my wiper arms are good though lol

Lol! Loads of little bits that need sorting where someone has had a go at painting chrome parts black rather badly not realising that etch primer is needed first!

Not difficult to tackle, but time consuming, should be worth it once finished though lol :smile:

Welcome @andrew_roy,

Mine had the same issue, smoked after boost. Found the dump valve was not operating proper. WD40 cleaned the dump valve and now no smoking.

Steve