Just bought my first GTO for £2660 is this cheap?

Bought a GTO for £2660, all original apart from exhaust and steering wheel, bodywork in mint condition and it’s taxed and moted! Just want to know did I grab a bargain and also what can I do to improve it? Thanks

Sorry didn’t mean to put that image

Hi welcome to GTOUK :sunglasses:

Sounds like it could be a bargain , what year and model have you bought ?

Any history with it , without scaring you if it’s unknown when the cambelt was last changed or there is no proof it should be top of your list .

Get some pics up lets all have a looksie

Regards

Craig :grinning:

2 Likes

It a 1992 j reg , twin turbo , I’ve not actually got it yet but picking it up on Sunday. Really excited lol.

3 Likes

Welcome along, as craig says water pump n cam belt are a must if you have no evidence they’ve been done recently.
Pop some pics up when you can

1 Like

I’m a mechanic myself so will check it when I get it, the guy whos got it now has only had it two years and hes not touched it! Only drove it! will I be able to get cam belt and water pump from local motor factors or are they hard to come by now?

1 Like

Speak to Rob … http://evilempireperformance.co.uk/gto-3000gt-shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90&products_id=387

Welcome to the club…it’s exciting isn’t it…
Get it here then ask away we are all here to help…use the search bar to find anything you need help on…tag a member if you think they can offer advice…even very old posts can be brought back to life I you needing help.
Well done Dave :sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome aboard, the asylum really is run by the lunatics, if your not mad after 3 months you will be hahahahahahahaha.

Seriously tho, can’t see a pic of your car, probably haven’t read the post properly, nope, I didn’t, doh! Where abouts are you in the country? Get those pics up and let us look at the acquisition.

Terry :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m from Manchester! I’m picking her up tomorrow so will put pics on tomorrow. After I’ve gave her a bit of pampering I want to bring her to one of the meets and start to get a better understanding of the cars. When I was a little kid I always played gran tourismo on the playstation 1 and always used the GTO and Ive always said to myself I want that car when I’m older and now I finally have it!

7 Likes

Here’s some pics will put more up soon! I’m guessing there’s not a lot in the UK so someone on here must have come across her before!

2 Likes

Just a shame about the paint on the bonnet

Hi
Good luck with the car, looks like you got a good deal, l got a mk2 last year for similar money and they have to be a little bit of an investement, got to go up in value. So l know where you are
A top condition mk 1 in stock spec will be rare now.
Get that cambelt done have a good look at the rear floor under the aerial water can get in there. Look in the plastic hatches in the boot. Check out the sill in front of the rear wheels and the joints on the corners of the floorpan with the front and rear bulkheads, maybe you have already?
Mine cost about another 2k to get it how l wanted for now so l see a decent car at least about 4k,s worth.
Hope the aero, ecs etc all work, abs can be a bit of a pain, if you have access to a scan tool you can check codes etc . should be obd1.
Is that paint on the bonnet? Looks like laquer lifting
Maybe paint will polish of.
Anyway enough said, if you need any advice its all there on gtouk
Good luck Jerry.

2 Likes

For starters if you don’t want to go down the paint route on he bonnet , have it wrapped temporarily , that way you can do other jobs as they arise .

Good advice from @jerry_SC above , he knows quite a lot about these cars now with the experience he has accrued over the years and good to see him posting a lot more now with his advice and experiences :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Is this a mk1 or mk2? I’m still learning lol there’s no rust at all just rusty brake and fuel pipes. I was told the aero doesn’t work and the light stays on the dash and next to the aero light is some sort of radiator light that keeps popping up but goes when I accelerate! I’m guessing it’s to do with the water and when I accelerate it’s wushing through the system and going off. It’s also got a boost controller which I’m having trouble understanding it! All I know about it is when I turn the engine off it counts down 30 secs before it turns itself off. Just after I took them pics I went to get it off the ramp and when I started the engine it started missing and wouldn’t rev up and cut out on me! I waited 5 mins and then it started fine! I think it’s to do with that boost controller! I need to do a bit of research I think!

1 Like

That’s your washer water level buddy the radiator type light…it’s put there to scare the ■■■■ out of new owners…looks good

2 Likes

Miss fires when hot is heat soak common problem…rev it through, does it if been running then like you go shops for 20 mins come out and look like an idiot trying to start it…belive me 🖒

2 Likes

Yours is a MkI , the engine running on will be your turbo timer to let the car cool down before switching off , not strictly needed as long as your not one of these that rags the car then turns it off straight away , reason for them is due to the turbos running so hot if you shut it down the oil effectively burns and creates carbon .

Ours are watercooled too which does help them run slightly cooler

1 Like

We do have a buyers guide on the forum. Whilst ok you’ve already got one it does help to explain all
The differences between models and some of the common issues

3 Likes

How involved is it to change to a water cooled one or even to find out if it already is water cooled?