Looking to buy this GTO which needs a bit of work

Couldn’t agree more with these guys.
Julian’s cars top notch.
If you become a member you’ll Lao have access to some recent videos he’s put up of it.
£2k car will cost you 2+2 easily…
Put it this way a Cambelt and water pump 60k service all oils etc will be about £1000 (at a reputable garage) so factor that in… If the water pumps not done then a Cambelt change is pointless. These cars can be cheap to run and service but to fix properly will cost money. Genuine factory parts are nearly impossible to come by.

What sort of drugs are you on ??? lol :scream:

Some bits are getting very hard to find and i have actually started re-manufacturing some of the stuff that is now discontinued , but that is a bit of a sweeping statement that is factually incorrect.

1 Like

That is an interesting statement butler, what parts have you been struggling to get?

Cheers,
Neil

Ketamine obviously! Sure he doesn’t have any trouble coming by that! haha

2 Likes

Thanks so much for all the advice guys, heading up to West Yorkshire on Saturday to have a look (5 hour drive should be fun!). Already printed off the buyers guide and will be most certainly taking it with me. Hopefully she shouldn’t need much work, whatever happens I’ll keep you updated.

On a side note (I’m sure this has already been answered) do you guys ever do meet ups? Thanks again for all the advice, really appreciate it! Lifesavers! :smiley:

Just become a member mate it’s £20 and will save you a fortune! it already has lol

Alright lol

Also, regarding Julians car, I’m trying to p/x my car with cash on top to get a GTO. If I have two cars I think my gf would go literally nuts. And my car is only worth 2k :frowning:

Also, inquired about that car in north Yorkshire and the guy sounded really shifty lol so yeah probably give that a miss.

Whereabouts are you in the country? There are loads of gtos about and if your in no hurry wait for a good one closer to home or one to come on here.
I used to jump in heart first instead of head and have been as far as scotland and then back again on the train (not a Gto though) thoroughly pissed off.
I didn’t join straight away but all the technical stuff on here helps a lot and generally the members won’t take the ■■■■ if you ask something stupid lol

Yeah thats always a bonus I guess lol I’m not the best with cars. I wouldn’t say I’m in a hurry, I currently have a BMW which is pretty fun to drive all things given, but I have been known to be incredibly impatient!

You traveled all the way to Scotland? Holy… That must of sucked!

You have got to be prepared to travel for cars like these. There aren’t many left and even fewer good ones. The chances of a good one coming up for sale on your door step are tiny. That being said mine came up for sale about 20 miles from me and I bought it that day! haha.

So lucky! Yeah I’ve noticed these things seem to be getting pretty rare.

Originally I was going to go for an FTO, until someone on BMW forums told me he would beat me up if he heard that I swapped my car for a an FTO lol :confused:

What do guys think of them?

My misses had one, nuff said! haha

@Butler wants one too which doesn’t surprise me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But seriously, they are nice cars but you really want to get the Mivec Manual one.

Or just stick to a GTO. :wink:

We do have many car meets at the major shows plus smaller more local ones. it’s well worth signing up just for these.

Regards

Andy

1 Like

FTO’s are the little sister of GTO’s. Cute and cuddly but not what you want for having some real man fun! haha.

2 Likes

My neighbour has one,hasn’t moved since he bought it but I did buy the Gto just after so he just looks at that now and wonders what the f# he did :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well they are impossible to come by on a £2k car budget is what I mean. You can get them but at big prices.
Factory steering racks, main ecus Engines etc, I know your reproducing a lot of stuff now rob but they still count as reproductions surely?
I’m not trying to be awkward lol!!
Sent from my iPhone

Most members generally wont but i will @Daveperkins :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Craig :smile:

1 Like

James, I’ve read most of the replies to you so far. From what I can make out, the blue GTO appears to be a serious good looker. As you have already heard, decent GTOs - those which not only have had an impeccable maintenance history, but also have no bodywork, instrumentation or interior defects etc - are virtually impossible to find. One or two have come up recently, but they have commanded very good prices, I know their owners, and can vouch for them as being real value for money.
The GTO is a very defining car. Its looks are still up there with marques commanding 4 figs or more. However, the GTOTT - an already very sprightly car off of the Mitsubishi factory floor - has in many cases been subjected to performance modifications to boost power by a further 200+ horsepower. This of course is not without cost. If the modifications are not carried out using the correct parts, methods, or expertise, and the engines are then subjected to extreme conditions, they will invariably let go, and I can attest to the amount of times members - old and new - have pulled their hair out in frustration when they faced a bottom end rebuild. These 6G72 V6’s are supposed to be bullet proof, but they are just like other engines when subjected to quite extreme demands. I take my hat off to those on here whom have worked hard to attain incredible 1/4 mile times in these cars, but I have to say that I have always felt that these cars are way too heavy for serious straight line, or even track power.
You might well be able to get your hands on that blue TT, and put some time into pulling the engine and rebuilding it. Many of us on here have and are currently working on engines, and I’m sure there’s plenty of experise to be gleaned. Then you know you’ll have something quite trustworthy for a considerable amount of time.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Mike

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant 5 figs or more… :relaxed:

lol bet you can’t wait to take the ■■■■ out of my mods…coming soon :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for all the advice you guys have given, I’m going to have a look tomorrow and see what condition it is like. When I started looking at GTO’s I was primarily looking for a cheapish project car to use to learn more about cars in general. So when most would cry at the thought of an engine rebuild, I don’t so much mind the idea. Obviously I need to see what condition the car is in, I’m taking a few friends who are mechanics and hopefully their advice will be sound. I’ve also printed off the buyers guide which will hopefully be extremely handy.

So I guess the real deal breaker will be what I find wrong or right with the car, I know one thing for sure though and that is 2500 is too much to ask for a car that needs either a new engine or an engine rebuild. So hopefully it will be a nice little project car that I can improve in the coming months.

Thanks again for all the advice (if I do end up bringing this thing home, I’ll be sure to join up as I’m sure I’m going to need more advice!).

7 Likes