New and in need of advice

Hello ladies and gents,

For years I’ve wanted my mums gto, it’s a mk2 n/a auto, finally she let me buy it!!! Yesssssss, it’d be stood for a few years, so I take it for an mot 16 fails later feeling a little weary, I start doing the work over the coming days, excellent only brake lines left to replace when taking it home to do the work disaster strikes.

Basically gearbox issues caused some redlining on a bypass, oil pressure dropped engine cooked and boiled itself until I could pull it over.

Now it sounds like a steroid induced gnome with a sledge hammers hid in my block going nuts.

Pretty sure I’ve knackered my big ends, so here’s the question, can I use a mk1 engine dohc n/a as a replacement, I’ve heard the pick up for the crankshafts different, but if this is the plate on the bottom pulley of the can belt can this be swapped over, does everything else mesh up ok.

Any help would be fantastic

Cheers

Jamie

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to GTOUK

sorry to hear about your little incident .

Certainly between MKI and MKII TT GTO’s you can swap the engines so a later 4 bolt into an early car works you just need to swap heads , any way back on topic if your reusing your heads then a bottom end should be fine , make sure you get oil pans and the like though if your going earlier than your engine

Craig :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome and such a quick response, I’ve found a breaker with an n/a engine in good nick hooray but it’s a mk1 and although they seem identical he said it wouldn’t work for an appropriate swap.

could I swap to a mk1 block if I swapped the heads off my mk2?

Would I need to change the trigger pick up for the crankshaft sensor on the mk1 block to make it compatible with my mk2?

Sorry for all the questions

Only know tt engines but the difference on them was the cas being on the head of the early 2 bolt cars and crank sensor on the latter 4 bolt cars , the n/a is most likely the same so it should be able to make it work .

If you have spun a bearing be very careful about what parts you reuse as contaminates will still be in those parts and will transfer once oil starts flowing again

Craig :grinning:

Thanks for that Craig your a legend I think I might just strip mine and try to recon it. if I’m really lucky I might be able to get away with replacing the shells :grin:.

Welcome along mate, loads of lovely help here even on a bank holiday when everyone’s out getting wasted (well not Craig)

Top blokes indeed, I’m stuck doing the night shifts at work all weekend unfortunately, no beers for me, just tuna buttys and a can of lilt :sob:

1 Like

Welcome to the club mate

Welcome to the club Jamie
Jensen

Welcome mate.
Jerry

Hey welcome along! Fingers crossed you get this sorted :slight_smile:
Sounds like your pretty hands on!
Where in the country are you?

Thanks everyone for the big welcome :blush:

I’m in south Manchester/ high peak area, I worked as a mechanic for a few years.
What is it they say…

Curious enough to take it apart

Skilled enough to rebuild it

Smart enough to hide all the extra nuts and bolts after.

7 Likes