New GTO owner introducing myself

Welcome mate. I like the car, the rims and black rear facia. I got identical car, black MK1. Cheers

J reg ftw!
Howdy buddy
Fletch

Btw what is the brand of those wheels? I like em :+1:

The wheels came with the car. All I know is that the centre caps say ‘dare’ and they are 8.5 x 18

haha Terry @just_cool J reg buddy!! :grin: similar story to mine stood up 13 years. Given to me as I arrived on the right day with the right attitude (or the guy liked my pretty face :wink: 4 New tyres 1 so cracked it was as porous as a tea strainer! Paint majorly damaged from tree sap and Sun bleached interior. Other than that and a slippy clutch she’s a Beaut! Obviously had all the oils, belt pulleys tensioner pump spark plugs etc changed and 4 non porous tyres lol welcome to the club mate nice to see another motor saved from being scrapped :+1::+1:

Edit: @yaryekcim2007 if you raise the headlight towards the left of it is a adjuster you should (providing the hinges aren’t bent/seized) be able to adjust the headlamp by turning the nob (lol) clockwise? Or counter clockwise.

I thought they only came in J reg form, anything else was an imposter :wink::grin:

Welcome in to the nuttery.

1 Like

Hi,

Welcome to GTOUK, also get a picture of your lotus up. :smile:

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks for all the posts, I’ve had a number of Retro Cars I have built in the in the past, my favourite was a 73 BMW 2002 touring. The Lotus will probably be the last one I’ll build. It was supposed to be 231 RX8 powered, stanced/race style but the behemoth gearbox put an end to that. Currently fully stripped pondering what to do so I bought the GTO. Will put a pic up next time I’m on the PC.
Cam belt now done :slight_smile: Now I can put my foot down. Loving it. I’ll give it 4 to 5 months and if still going well I will commit to full bodywork and respray.

3 Likes

I’m loving the car with a cheeky grin but the dump valve is not loud enough ha! Aero’s don’t work though and the passenger window.

As promised, the Lotus and thought I’d share a pic of the BMW after my restoration and mods (you can see I like Black cars - it was a standard white car when I got my hands on it) The Lotus is fully stripped now.

4 Likes

That BMW looks sweet, liking that :smile:

Neil

A lot of love and labour went into it. I will get another one day and it’ll be a keeper. But for now the GTO is getting the attention. Think it needs CV joints, might replace all the bushes, mounts, sort the passenger electric window then consider doing the body and respray. I don’t want any bodykits etc, it looks awesome as it is, just the paint lets it down. Maybe replace the seats as the rears are completely faded. I’ve bled the clutch and brakes but think the clutch needs another bleed.

1 Like

The car will feel a lot better if you sort all the bushes etc.

Neil.

Welcome to the club, nice looking vehicle!

Andy

I will invest in it after a few months of use. I’m happy it goes so well but I’ve yet to take it on a long run. Dorset has no motorways!! My son is annoyed because the passenger window doesn’t work. He wants to wind it down and shout at his class mates when we leave the school car park and listen to the growley exhaust. He’s only 7. The BM was his fave car… hopefully this will be the new one!

Daft question but it does catch people out , you havent got the window lock button pressed have you ? stops the passenger side window opening

Craig :smile:

1 Like

what?! ok will have a look tomorrow… hopefully that might be it…

Now he’ll be screaming out of the window :+1:

Terry :sunglasses:

No definitely a problem with the window. Goes down a few millimetres then clicks when you press up.
Took it out today for its first fast road run with my boy. We loved it but it has a violent shake on heavy braking so on reading the buyers guide it should be the cv joints?
Also the power steering pump belt keeps going slack which affects the turning on idle :frowning:

Welcome to the club.
Brake judder is probably disc run out.
Could be caused by a sticking caliper piston.
When you tighten the belt, do you have any adjustment left available? Belt could be stretched.
Marty

If you feel the brake judder through the steering wheel its the front discs. If there no vibration at the wheel its the rears :blush: would be best to replace all 4 as run out is generally caused by heavy prolonged braking, the pads would’ve been well and truly cooked.