New GTO owner introducing myself

Daft question but it does catch people out , you havent got the window lock button pressed have you ? stops the passenger side window opening

Craig :smile:

1 Like

what?! ok will have a look tomorrowā€¦ hopefully that might be itā€¦

Now heā€™ll be screaming out of the window :+1:

Terry :sunglasses:

No definitely a problem with the window. Goes down a few millimetres then clicks when you press up.
Took it out today for its first fast road run with my boy. We loved it but it has a violent shake on heavy braking so on reading the buyers guide it should be the cv joints?
Also the power steering pump belt keeps going slack which affects the turning on idle :frowning:

Welcome to the club.
Brake judder is probably disc run out.
Could be caused by a sticking caliper piston.
When you tighten the belt, do you have any adjustment left available? Belt could be stretched.
Marty

If you feel the brake judder through the steering wheel its the front discs. If there no vibration at the wheel its the rears :blush: would be best to replace all 4 as run out is generally caused by heavy prolonged braking, the pads wouldā€™ve been well and truly cooked.

Yes, I think the belt is at fault. I bought the cam belt kit and alternator belt thinking it ran everything else. The mechanic said he tightened it up after doing the cam belt and water pump but now I have bought a belt for the pump.

Disc brakes and pads next on my list.

I find it odd to be driving at 30mph in third because it doesnā€™t like going in fourth driving steadily at 30mph.

lol 2nd gear = 70 3rd is for over that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Too right. Found that out the other day :smile:

1 Like

Well Iā€™ve replaced the powersteering belt. The one from ebay was too small and the one from the local motor factors was too big so the tensioner is all the way and canā€™t go now further, but no more jerky turning on idle and in fact it runs better too, but Iā€™m still not happy with the fact the tensioner is on all the way so might have to get another belt. any recommendations?

Also with the change in the weather I must get the passenger window sorted because it doesnā€™t move and it leaks if it rains because its not in the full closed position. It must be siezed up. It just clicks.

Looking at the front discs the pads are not gripping it fully so will be replacing them with new discs and pads. Just the front for now as Iā€™m on a tight budget.

Does anyone have the same problem as me? Impreza guys with attitude problem or other owners trying to prove they have a better car than me even if itā€™s a 1.4 with some silly jap can on the back or some flashy top of the range Audi or similar?
Itā€™s only a car I mean. Sure itā€™s quick and sounds good but I donā€™t drive around showing it off. I donā€™t even drive with my hand on the top of the wheel like I got a broken seat. Never have done in my 20 years of driving.

3 Likes

as a now impreza guy i suffer the same problem myself :laughing: seems alien to people i just want to pootle around at my own speed withought having to prove what it is .

I dont bother in this nor rarely in my GTO as quick as mine was there was always going to be something quicker and i would rather them waste their fuel than mine .

That said if there is nobody around and im on my own on the road im more than happy to have a play

Craig :smile:

Sorted my passenger window. The top white plastic bracket had broken into several pieces. Now workingā€¦ Sourced a 2nd hand drivers hub. Hopefully will get me through the MOT.