New owner, Manchester

Hi folks, new Mk1 TT owner here.
Actually bought the car and signed up here a good few months ago, but didn’t get round to posting yet :joy:

I used to have a Mazda 6 MPS, which is basically a turbocharged 6 with AWD, very nice and understated car esp after tuning to about 290hp, unfortunately this got written off in a hit and run, so while I waited to find the parts to have a go at fixing it up I thought I’d buy a cheap old MR2 or Galant or something instead, something a bit fun…now I’d always considered the GTO was up there in the Skyline/Supra etc price range given how iconic they were in Gran Turismo but I just thought I’d look on Pistonheads anyway…and I couldn’t believe how cheap they were! In hindsight, I suppose being the only Japanese car NOT in the Fast and Furious films helps a lot… (or hinders if you paid £50k back in the 90s!)

So snapped this Mk1 up, from a former member here I believe.

What great cars they are. Deffo a 90s supercar in my book.

It already had a HKS filter, some replaced pipework, a nice exhaust system, and Bilstein shocks and lowered springs - which are pretty bone-jarring on most of England’s crap roads, but brilliant on a real road :joy:.
The owner had also put a reversing camera in (this is a godsend), and got half-way through fitting a ‘start engine’ ignition button next to the ashtray :joy: no idea where to start with finishing that off so I’ve left it!

Few niggles with it, the oil cooler and pipes need changing, it squeals after startup for a few seconds which I think must be the starter motor, and the gearbox synchros are knackered to various degrees - 3rd gear is the worst - it’s perfectly driveable, but could do with either a rebuild or ideally swap it out for a good one or do a 6 speed conversion.

It’s shortly going to be tarped for most of winter after I’ve done some undersealing next week, will be keeping it a long time hopefully and doing some bits of restoration work here and there.

Alex

5 Likes

Hi Alex,

Nice looking motor and welcome to the club. There’s loads of knowledgeable people here who can always offer advice. Hopefully, you’ll be able to bring her along to some of the club meets next year.

James

1 Like

Hi and Welcome Alex , looks good to me … and it’s not Blue !

1 Like

Welcome to GTOUK looks a very tidy motor

1 Like

Hi and welcome to GTOUK .

Where’s the pict… Oh you’ve done it :joy: Top man

Craig :grinning:

2 Likes

Welcome along to the club, started right so people won’t badger you. Looks a tidy motor too.

Terry :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Welcome to the nut house, feel free to join in, offer advice, and generally enjoy the site👍 hopefully get to some meets, are next official one is the agm.
Cheers dave

1 Like

Welcome to the club. Car looks good. a UK one and a moon roof…! Win win…

Loads of helpful knowledge people here that are more than willing to help where they can… Good luck with her

Jus

Welcome aboard noe you can start having fun!!

Welcome along fella.

Welcome to the club Alex.
Car looks really nice.
Jensen

thats a nice motor, love the wheels and she is in the best colour :ok_hand:

Thanks guys!!

Yeah I didn’t even know they did them in white, but I loved the colour soon as I saw it. Bugger to keep clean like, haha.

actually i have a white mk 4 and it is a damm sight easier to keep clean then my wifes black 308

White 3000GT are very rare as Mitsubishi didn’t import many MK1 3000GT’s into the UK

Take care of it Alex as its a rare one

Cheers Rob

2 Likes