Oil grade? spark plugs?

Gto mk1 n/a
Just a quick one about engine oil and spark plugs.
have looked at a few web sites about engine oil and grades but different brands and grades (semi synthetic etc) .
What do you guys suggest.
Also best spark plugs and gaps?
Due to replace all shortly

Speak to @Oilman he will tell you everything you need to know. Just give him a run down of the car and the spec and he will tell you what oil and plugs to use!

Oil is vary much a discussion topic.
Down to personal preference.
I use valvoline semi synthetic 10w/40.
You can get it from euro car parts.

Spark plugs.
Standard are ngk pfr6j -11
11 is just the gap, so they come pre gapped to 1.1mm.

Personally, I think they are too pricey. I use ngk coppers.
For an n/a you would want ngk bcpr6es-11
You do need to replace them a lot more often though.
That’s why they went with the platinum originally.

Marty

Cheers marty.
so much info out there its hard to choose.
iridium plugs
platinum plugs
coppers.
It just seems best to ask the guys who know their stuff

Just need to take the plunge in getting back three out lol
I guess its probably not as bad as it looks after watching videos on YouTube.
Rather than open another topic can I ask you if the plenum gasket and throttle body gasket has to be replaced with new or can you just clean old one up

Should ideally replace it but i must admit i would be lying if i said i did it every time , if yours has never been off while you have had it then it wont hurt to change it , ive reused mine a couple of times in the past then changed them

Craig :smile:

I must admit, I have never replaced mine.
There really is no need, as long as it has always been fitted the correct way around, and is not damaged.
I think I put new ones on when I bought it 13yrs ago, bit never since.
I know others will vehemently disagree with this!
But, there really is no need.
Marty

Make sure you put a cardboard blank over the lower intake otherwise you be f****d if you drop something down there. Better be safe than sorry. Just saying like…

Terry :sunglasses:

You MUST ONLY Use Platinum spark plugs in the NON turbo orther wise it will misfire nicely after a short while as many have found out.

If you unsure on what to get give me a call as i can supply you exactly what you need to service the car

01702-614469

Cheers Rob

Rear bank of plugs really isn’t a difficult job. It gets a bad rep because it takes 45 mins or so first time, probably half an hour when you’ve done it a few times which is too long. As said replace the gasket first time and keep a spare and then judge it each time you take it off. What you don’t want to do is take it off and realise you need a new one before you can put it back together and have to order one!

Watch out when you get ready to lift the plenum runners. There are a couple of studs at each end with nuts and washers securing. There have been instances where a washer has been lost into the lower plenum and then found its way into the engine. Engine rebuild followed. You have every reason to be cautious on your first date…
Good luck with it,

Mike

1 Like

Cheers guys for all info recived.
just a question posed earlier but not answered.
its the question of plug gap.
only mod to engine is a hk induction kit so really speaking standard.
yeah guys the hamster has to run like hell to get this beast moving (to you turbo guys)

If you buy the correct plugs they should be pre gapped correctly

Cheers Rob

Yes, they should. However, it is always best to check them.
They should be 1.0 to 1.1mm
Marty