What is needed prior to starting my 1994 GTO that has not been started for 4 years

I have a 1994 GTO I haven’t started for 4 years, what would be a good process prior to starting, and what problems are know please ?

Bob

Hi and welcome to the forum. Its probably best to do an introduction of yourself and some pics of the car. No matter if its green with algae, sitting under a tree :wink:
If you join the club you get access to an amazing technical section that goes right back to when the club was formed.
OK, try this.
Check battery charge, take cover off the cam belt and look at the condition, not having started it for that long could necessitate a cam belt change, better safe than sorry. Change the oil and filter, remove front spark plugs and disconnect the coil packs. Turn it over to get the oil round the engine, front plugs out means less turn over resistance. Put it back together and give it a whirl.

Good luck.

Terry :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thank you Terry for the speedy advice, I will do as suggested

regards

bob

Hi and welcome to gtouk ,timing check is a must ,both condition of belt and timing marks ,turn it over by hand first ,any doubt get the belt and tensioner changed.

You will also need to overhaul the brakes once it’s running and generally give the car a good recommissioning

Regards

Craig

2 Likes

Hi welcome to GTOUK
Dave

Welcome to the Club Bob !

Welcome to the club. We need pictures!!! Above advice is all good. The only thing I would add is to drain the tank and get some fresh fuel in there. 4 year old fuel won’t help an already difficult time for the engine. And while you are at it and the fuel pressure is likely low already you may as well change the fuel filter before you go and start it up and build up the pressure. It will make the job a lot less messy!

1 Like

Thank you, and will send some pic later

regards

bob

Thanks all for your comments, I will look to sort this out and send back
feedback

A couple of pics attached

regards

Bob

4 Likes

:dizzy_face: The Gto is white right ? But the other two :fearful::sob:

Niiice!!! right colour too!!!

Terry :sunglasses:

Hi and welcome, hope you get it sorted I think that’s a grace silver though right?

1 Like

Great advice from the boys there. Can’t top that - what a super club we have. Enjoy the silver (agreed, best colour, hehe) beauty, she’ll bring a smile to your face.

Mike

3 Likes

Cheers, and thanks for the support

Regards

Bob

I’m surprised it’s been missed, but I think the most important thing you’ll need before starting her up after that long is a REALLY strong drink to steady the nerves! :smile:

Good luck with her comeback, I’m sure she’ll be purring in no time. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you, we will see…

1 Like