What questions do i need to ask when buying a GTO

Hello again,

can anyone tell me what questions i need to ask when buying a gto ie what are the obvious things that can go wrong if not replaced already for example i ask about cambelt change is there anything else like waterpump thermostat etc ?

thanks.

Ideally as a rule we say when doing the belt the pump and stat should be changed at the same time .

Have a read of the buyers guide at the top of the newbie section , it’s well worth reading and printing if needs be

Craig :grinning:

2 Likes

Rust, apart from anything else look underneath at the back rear nearside wing, floor round the tank and offside wing and rear of sills inside, floor joints to the bulkheads front and back.These cars can look great with all the plastic and be very rusty underneath.
Everything is repairable just depends on desire and budget but even though they are 20 years old plus and you must expect some deterioration, check out the car and pay accordingly if you want it.

1 Like

This also entirely depends on the asking price.

If the owner / dealer is asking for more than say … £3k+, then look at the quality/brand of tyres, suspension (OEM ECS or pattern non-ECS) , listen out for interior rattles and wind noise - this can indicate if the previous owner(s) were attentive or just plain corner cutting.

With regards to history, proof/receipts is much better than taking someone’s word for it.

Hello all need some more advice, i’ve found a gto here is part of the advert

K reg just gone for mot and passed with no advisaries with flying colours.ITs an import model recent full respray in red costing over £1000,with some history and old mots.Twin rear sports exhausts for extra cool looks and sounds great.
Cool looking smart Ferrari looks at bargain price.Drives very well with many extras for ease of driving.
Four wheel steering and four wheel drive for stability and grip to the road.May future collectors item can
only go up in value in this condition.SOLD as described with no return possible bid to buy.
May offer delivery in England within cost price subject to £500 deposit payable on auction end on paypal
or bank transfer.

should i be concerned that its an import model ? could it be too good to be true, he says the cambelt has been done by previous owner and that its been parked up in his garage for a while and not driven, originally it was up for £1,595 and he’s had a lot of messers so i offered him £1100 cash, it’s all the way in cornwall so i will have to fly to newquay and then get the train view it and buy it and drive it back.

Are You buying the whole car or just the respray :confused::confused::unamused:

1 Like

Believe nothing untill you have seen it.

1 Like

If he’s already describing it as a Ferrari i would imagine he has cataracts, beauty is in the eye of the seller…tread carefully​… Mine was described as near immaculate :joy:

1 Like

the whole car lol, think the guy is fed up dont think there are many people that want a gto in cornwall farming country.

2 Likes

A grand is a very cheap blow over paint job i would go and look at it

2 Likes

Is this Your first GTO ? As Scott said go to see it and if You don’t know much about the GTOS take with You someone who does :wink:

3 Likes

If its any good price its quite cheap and could be a good start but imagine there will be work to do on it no doubt.
Good look underneath and at the back under rear wings and rear of the sills.
If the guy wants rid you may get a bargain but beware. If you get it then you can get stuck in to gto ownership!!
Good luck.

1 Like

I believe this car is a NON-Turbo GTO, they only come in as a grey import, and is Front wheel drive.

The “3000GT” is a UK/Euro market car, and these are in full twin turbo, 4WD specification - and they fetch alot more than £1500 … unless it is chronically broken.

Only US spec cars are fwd and lhd of course all jap import gto,s are awd whether turbo, non turbo manual or non turbo automatic.

1 Like

Every day is a school day! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are in the right school don’t worry :smile:

1 Like

Best advice whatever you read on the American forums ignore it lol , tuning wise there’s a few guys to take notice of people like Chris hill , ray pampena and nelson , they do know there stuff

Craig :grinning: