What to do with my 3000GT

Hi There,
A newbie to the site and not the best reason for my first post :frowning:
Hopefully this post is in the correct spot and I observe etiquette.
Ok then. I’ve had this 1998 3000GT since 2000. It has spend most of its life in the garage hence its only done 94k miles. Never had any issues and absolutely love the car. Not once has she/it ever let me down and I guess in a way she still hasn’t. Back in March this year some nice soul (not what I called him at the time) decided to run into the back of me as you can see on the photos. The car was written off as a category C which I bought back and then had MOT’d.
I don’t use the car as a main car although she still runs perfectly and I guess a part of me is hanging on but I don’t know what to do with it and was hoping someone on here could recommend a course of action.
If you think it could be repaired (or need more information) please contact me (normal garages were not interested due to parts).
Alternatively if it should be sold please let me know and when I get over the grief I can post it on here for sale in the classifieds as I would rather it went to someone that had a passion for the type of car.

Well there doesnt look a lot wrong with that to me , get the wing knocked out and put a replacement bumper on it .

However , if you decided not to repair it let me know via pm what you may be after for it .

Is there any structual damage on it ? in side the boot etc , crash bar has probably gone and its mounts , does it need a vic check prior to being put back on the road ?

Any other damage on it apart from that ? can only see the rear wing and bumpers on that picture

Craig :smile:

1 Like

Agreed, looks like it might be light damage, but I’d take a look at the frame member underneath, and in the boot. If there is any evidence of kinking to the frame, then it will need jigging to return the frame member to original position before refiiting any bodywork.
If the damage is that bad, then I reckon it would be more beneficial to you to break it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mike

1 Like

Agree with @dodgemonkey if it needed jigging would be better off parted out

Both the guys have given you sound advice me thinks, best bet have a look under the bumper and n at the frame,

Tbh if the frames not gone and all you need is crash bar and mounts and a new 3000gt bumper it could cost just a couple of hundred then however much for the part to be sprayed up. Maybe 100 for the dent removal… All assuming it’s cosmetic.

I have a rear Bumper undamaged in the colour you need for a 3000GT here if you need it.

Well in fact have a whole Blue 3000GT here to break body wise and it has no engine gearbox or running gear as its all being transplanted into my 99 MK4 before anyone asks

Cheers Rob

Just looking at these pictures more closely , i can see why it got cat ‘C’ now

Looking at it to me and tell me if im wrong but it looks like the side wing hasnt been hit but its buckled from the impact of the bump , looks like the whole passenger side quarter has been forced down and pushed forward ( looking at the boot line ) which has distorted the wing , the wheel arch isnt round anymore

If thats the case there will be structual damage on that

1 Like

Yeh your right Craig the gap between the wheel is far too small at the rear of the arch

Take the contents of the boot out and see if the floor is rippled ??

Cheers Rob

Deffo rippled, to repair would have be body jacked, used to do things like that when I worked in the body shop, garage, not boutique :joy: Hope its not too bad, looks a bit tucked under, just check the box section inside the wheel arch, good luck.

Terry :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi All,
Many thanks for the replies. I did not know how much information to put on the initial post as obviously it was my first post. It would appear that you all know what you are talking about and are well informed.

The damage is as you have assumed. According to three mechanics, the rear left side chassis member has been crumpled by about and 30mm and would require cutting off and a new section welding on. This has caused various other components to bend and the rear wing to be buckled. The boot floor is also slightly distorted.

As I said the MOT was not a problem even the exhaust survived if a little bent! there is no other visible damage other than that can be seen.

Even without all the above information (as your assumptions are correct) it would appear the majority of you think it needs breaking. If this is the case, which I thought it would be then at least I know as a donor she can be well used and I have asked the right people. I am in no rush to get rid of the car (still hanging on to her) but will try and get in touch with you Craig to see what you recommend as my next course of action.

Many thanks for you replies.

Carl

Get some quotes to moto line the chassis as it may be far cheaper than you think !!!

1 Like

I agree with you Rob, the rear wing will ding back if its subjected to a chassis jack.

Terry :sunglasses: