Yet another newbie

Hello,

I was in attendance at Simply Jap Beaulieu 2016 and I noticed this club’s stand not too far from where I was pitched; as a previous GTO owner, I decided to take the plunge and sign up.

Quick bit of backstory about me, in the absence of any GTO/3000GT pictures: back in 2006 at the ripe old age of 25 I bought a black 1991 GTO twin turbo, and never stumbled across any other owners in the two years I had it. Although I loved the car, I missed out on being able to converse with others who had a common interest - mainly because they were few and far between.

I’ve been in Subarus for the last four years, currently in a 2001 WRX UK300 (don’t hold that against me, I’m alright really), but like a lot of petrolheads I’m starting to get itchy feet again, and I’m seriously considering a return to GTO ownership.

Having seen the stand at Beaulieu, it brought all the old memories back - for me, no other car has ever been able to replicate the feeling of sliding back into the driver’s seat of a low slung GTO with pop-up headlights.

I think that’s enough misty-eyed Mills & Boon-ery for the time being. I’ll pop up on the forum a bit for the immediate future, just to get a feel for the frequency and spread of events, and keep an eye on the for sale / classified pages just in case one catches my eye.

Hope to see / chat to some or most of you.

Lee

4 Likes

Welcome along Lee, nice to see you here, as you said you haven’t got a car so we can’t badger you for pictures.
Whereabouts are you in the country, there is also a members map, so if you join up you can see who is actually near you.

Good luck in your search,

Terry :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You know you want to Get another one :slight_smile:
Welcome to GTOUK.

Steve

3 Likes

Hey and welcome. There are some beauty’s for sale ATM.
We do a lot of events across the country, probably in the region of 15-20. There is a future events page with date list at top:-)

2 Likes

Welcome along mate…great to have you here…we would never hold the scooby thing against you would we @CDMH :grin:
But now your here we can help to convert your back.
Dave :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Welcome to the club lee. Hope you find the gto your looking for.
Jensen

2 Likes

Welcome and Good luck :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome to GTOUK :sunglasses:

Nowt wrong with scoobys , ran one myself for a while , but you know it makes sense getting back into a mans car

Regards

Craig :grinning:

2 Likes

Welcome Lee. As you may have guessed @CDMH diverted to scoobs for a while and then came back. I have a Mk1 (pop-ups) for sale at the moment. If you are interested then drop me a PM and i will give you all the details.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I promise not to take any of the “non-man’s car” comments personally… sob.

I’m borders of SE London / NW Kent, about a mile from the Dartford Crossing.

I’ll have a potter round the site for a while and familiarise myself with some of the regulars on here before looking in earnest at the classifieds, just as a recap to myself if nothing else.

@maxxbradley, thanks for the heads-up, it’s a smashing example you have there.

L

4 Likes

It has finally happened: I have bought a GTO, 1991 twin turbo no less.

There’s a number of small niggles with it, but nothing so severe that it’s a huge gamble and in the main it’s a solid motor with very low mileage.

All things going well, I’ll be picking it up on Saturday and will be enjoying a nice 90 mile drive home in it.

I’m familiar with the newbie rules on here therefore pictures will follow once I’ve picked it up and gotten it home.

11 Likes

Good to hear fella , welcome to the smiles for miles club

Soon followed by crying in your beer … laughing obviously :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Welcome to the club mate, enjoy your new mk1 gto(the best if you ask me…but don’t tell anyone!!!)
Hope to see some pictures soon
Jerry :grinning:

2 Likes

Welcome on board enjoy your car

1 Like

Welcome to​ rhe pain of actually owning one, or 2/3/4 or however many Jerry has now.
Enjoy it and ask away if any problems :+1:
Dave :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Welcome Lee,

I’m a new member myself, based up in Scotland. It took the plunge and bought one, and somehow ended up with 2! (well, 1 GTO, 1 3000GT )
I’m the same, just love the look of the mk1. At least I’ve got spares now for breakdown(s) :grin:
Let’s see the pictures before you make the 90 mile drive. A lot can happen on that first cruise! :disappointed:
Driving mine down the road from Elgin to Falkirk and the OSR brake seized on! With no tools whatsoever in the boot (cheers bloke who sold me it) I was forced to call the AA, pay 150 quid to join and then wait for a dude to turn up. Thankfully, managed to free off and lubricate the piston to get me home for the remaining hundred miles.

Anyway man, Enjoy!

Scott F

Here’s the twins getting a good carbon clean a couple of days ago…

3 Likes

Congrats Lee and welcome to the madhouse

Steve

2 Likes

Thanks all. To those who haven’t seen this thread before, or didn’t scan through the earlier posts in it, this is my second GTO although I’ve had a 12 year lay-off from them. The first was an impulse buy and I was a lot more naive about cars of this nature at the time.

But I always vowed to get back into one if I ever had the money, wisdom and the mechanical know how. It seems I’m now at that stage. Took long enough!

Weather reports suggest Saturday is going to be a scorcher, so it’ll be ideal to get my own photos of the car - which I will then provide for your delectation.

4 Likes

Welcome to the club, saw your post yesterday but didn’t have time to reply.

Yeah, Saturday is going to be a scorcher but I will be out there trying to get my baby back together.

Terry :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Nice wheels mate look good

1 Like