Gto Newbie. spun bearing :/

Haha no dude im not defensive and appreciate all help and advice. Im on vacation so im bored and just surfing around to gain info, and perhaps an excuse. I just realy realy hope its something simple and doesnt take weeks and big budget to fix. Ill see whats what when i return home and start fixing the car, just ordered a sh*t load of parts for the car.

Cheers

Well speaking of cheap, i just ordered parts and stuff for 800 pounds and 420 dollars (from UK and US merchants). So money i can manage and buy parts for diy. But the amount of work it takes to rebuild the engine scares me and here is why: the garade i can use dont have a lift but a pit and its a hassle to remove the gearbox and stuff to change crank and stuff. And the car cant be stored there while i fix the engine, so hassle that too. The only pro garage that i know who knows these engines are the Mitsu dealer itself, and this being Norway means they will take huge amount of cash and use their original parts on the engine.
So this i my reality chaps, bear with me.

Cheers

If you want to pay for flights Iā€™m sure there will be a few volunteers who willingly fly out to listen to it :smile:

As for removing gearbox and engines , quite a lot of us have done that job on our driveways , it really isnā€™t that bad , a slack days work would see it out of the car and on a stand

Craig :smile:

2 Likes

Craig is right here. I havenā€™t removed a GTO/3000GT engine (yet) but have done plenty of other cars and as jobs go its one of the easy ones. My Silvia engine I could have out within an hour and half on my driveway with basic tools. The garage (as long as they arenā€™t monkeys) should have no problem removing the engine with just the use of a pit.

Do i have to remove the subframe or something on 3000GT upon engine removal? I changed clutch myself on a Volvo fwd and it was a bit of a hassle as the subframe had to be dismantled and engine lovered before gearbox would have enough clearanse to come out. Thing is if the engine needs to come out on mine GT it would be nice to be able to push the car out so it doesnt occupy the garage space.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-trany.htm

Here is a write up on gearbox removal. Gives you an idea of some of the processes.

Great mate, that 316 guy is really good. Seems like there is no subframe which means the wheels can be attached and car can be moved.

1 Like

All comes out from the top , donā€™t bother removing the gearbox either , just lift the lot out in one go , if you remove the air on pump and power steering pump from their mountings you can leave them lying on the chassis legs once the engines out , this way you donā€™t need to regas the air on or refill the p/steering

Craig :smile:

For real? Well that makes things even less complicated. Great tip, cheers mate! :thumbsup: