Hey Guys! Newbie debating ownership

Wassup Guys! I am now a proud owner of a stunning 3000GT!
Took her out for a spin and WOW! I’ve owned fast cars but this just so Raw!
so far I haven’t noticed anything wrong other than the driver side wing mirror wont go up n down.

there was 2 small issues I wanted to ask about:

1. The steering wheel is massive, It seems to hit my legs and I can’t get close enough to be comfortable on the stiff clutch… Is fitting a little momo wheel quite an easy swap?

2. the active aero… Clonk! when its coming back down into position it sounds like something has fallen off the back of my car, is there anyway to soften the clonk?

other than these few things I absolutely love it… so much fun to drive and looks awesome

To fit the steering wheel is fairly easy but does have some bum pains involved. Getting the steering wheel off can some times be tricky, but with the aide of a puller can be easily solved. The biggest headache seems to be wiring in the new horn.

You’ll need a boss and a new steering wheel, and depending on the wheel, the horn wiring. Finally when removing the airbag you may well be left with the srs light on permanently there are ways around this but of course this is an important feature of the cars safety system and you should aid with extreme caution when messing with stuff like that.

I would prefer to keep the air bag but the steering wheel ruins the handling and the comfort, will any wheel generally fit as long as I get the correct boss kit?

I’ve noticed the clutch makes a strange click everytime I press it, it doesn’t sound bad or broken just kinda annoying that every time I change gear it clicks, is this normal?

So some of you may have seen my intro post on ■■■■■ but for those who are not part of that group here is a pic of my new motor :slight_smile:

http://s775.photobucket.com/user/woodie-pb22/media/20140330_180005.jpg.htmlhttp://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/woodie-pb22/20140330_180005.jpg

also big thank you to gav for the robo lights :slight_smile:

Woodie my clutch pedal does the same thing… But not every time only going in to first. Did you find out what it is as I’m interested!!

I haven’t really attempted to fix it as its more of an annoyance than a problem.
I did look into it and apparently somebody had something similar with a spring catching something during movement and greasing the spring behind the pedal can help but mine sounds like its coming from the dial cluster unless its just causing echo behind the whole dash.

new speakers fitted so turn em up enough n I don’t hear it :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol I can feel it in my foot more than hear it like you say it’s more annoyance
You should get some more photos up of your car! :slight_smile:

Wow nice cleaning looking motor :slight_smile:

Neil.

Need some advice guys, I need to get a new starter motor and stepper motor but looking at evil empire I was actually shocked when I saw how much it came to with VAT. So I had a search around and found this:

now I know ebay is bad for these types of parts but its a genuine mitsubishi part with decent postage from AUS. Overall it would save me about £100 on such a minor part.

what ya’ll sayin on this here part? yay or nay?

There are starter motors on the bay for much cheaper but no genuine ones, evil’s ones aren’t genuine either so I’m thinking to just go for the cheaper option

I fitted one from Rob the other week. Easy job, and now its done i shouldn’t have to worry about it for the rest of the time I own the car. Incidentally i don’t think the £160ish it is for it is expensive in the grand scheme of things. If you have to take the starter off anyway just to replace that small part why not just refit a complete new one and forget about it there after?

well I will be getting a completely new one, of which I will probably get the starter motor from evil. but instead of spending £160 on a stepper motor as well, I can get that from ebay for £70 n save £90.

I contacted the guy selling the genuine stepper motors n he asked for the part number of the one fitted to my car to verify it will fit my car, does anybody know the part number for the stepper motor or where I can find it?
He also offered to mark the price down to something super cheap so that I don’t have to pay customs fee’s.

There is no way that is a genuine part for the price out of OZ…

There is tonnes of so called Genuine and OEM items out there that are just Chinese knock offs…

Does your car have Carbon look items inside the cabin ??, as it has the wheels for the last of the 3000GT’s

If so its one of the very last imported into the UK

Looks a very tidy car you have bought

I am currently waiting for the latest price for the Idle control valves from Japan as i think they are going to be stupid money and i will be only obtaining them as special orders for people who want the real thing.

There are just too many knock off floating about and i understand where your coming from about the price on the ICV’s, but i will not sell crap and hence mine are dearer as they are Real Genuine ones.

The starter motor has been sold by us for over 5 years and has had zero failures and yes its not genuine, but it is reliable and works and fits perfectly.

Hope this helps you understand that i am here to help… not rip people off

Cheers Rob

no no I never said you was ripping people off, I know you provide some of the best bits you can buy for a 3000gt and are priced as such so I just had a shop about to see if I could pick up something a bit cheaper as I’m on budget…
granted I know the old saying “you get what you pay for” is often very true for ebay things but contacting the AUS guy he seems to be adamant that its genuine as I did push that point.

Mine has the carbon look inside not sure if I like it but its there :stuck_out_tongue:

also quick show of hands to anybody who reads this… how many people have head butted the spoiler whilst the boot is up?

Woodie I lost count of the times I head butt that damn spoiler and yes mine makes a clunk when lowering so I just turned the thing off. Rob was a bit harsh with the choice of words in my opinion but he is very passionate about looking out for us and warned me about things like ebay and don’t tell any one but he was right i bought some right crap thats now in the bin :lol:

When the cars were new Mitsubishi fitted a nice foam strip in the part that house the brake light (reflector on a 3000GT, easy mod to do) but over the years they just disintegrate and disappear…

My words may have been harsh but the Idle Control Valve is an item that will drive you mad when the car stalls at junctions and dipping the clutch entering roundabouts… the small saving is just not worth the hassle when its item as important as that…Thats the point i was trying to make :cry:

An yes many a bump… building a MK4 solved that :shock: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

lol first day fitting the rear speakers and sub both myself n my dad took some pretty good hits from the spoiler, Glad were not the only ones. Is there no spoiler on a mk4?

Tbh I would rather the harsh words stopping me in my tracks than somebody telling me to go ahead n jump head first into something that I will probably regret.

I’m wondering if I’m after the right part, I don’t stall on junctions or at round abouts… My car is just very unstable idling on a warm start up, revs dip massively n in bad cases will stall unless the throttle is pressed, after a few mins driving its fine again and only happens on warm start up.

From the sounds of it you do not need a Idle control Valve

If the car has stood for any time it may just need a good service and a perhaps the Valve just needs a damn good clean.

That will free up money to service it proper with the right bits…lol

Give me a call if i can help you as you are running out of posts

01702-614469

Cheers rob

Finished reading a 25 page thread on 3si.org about the hot start issue n my god… I’m honestly not sure where to start, the list seems to be:
Bad FPR
Bad IAC
Bad Coolant sensor
Bad Fuel injectors
Bad fuel pump
Fuel vapor in the lines from heat soak (fuel boiling)
Dodgy heat soaked alternator

Thinking it might just be cheaper n easier to let a garage have a look at it.

Starts fine from cold and if you drive it for a while then leave it for 2hrs+,
if you drive it till its nice n warm then leave it for about 20mins to 2hrs its just an unstable mess for a minute or so, need to keep the revs at about 1k+ then it levels out or after a few minutes of driving. The revs just seem to dip below 500 and only once it hasn’t held n just cut out completely.

tried to explain as much as I could in this post as I’m not sure what you mean by “you are running out of posts” do I have a limit?

[quote]
tried to explain as much as I could in this post as I’m not sure what you mean by “you are running out of posts” do I have a limit?[/quote]

You only get 20 posts if not a full member. if you join you will have full access to the site and be able to show off the car at club meets. I enjoyed japfest, japfest2, japshow final with Andres car running over 1000 bhp last year. There’s many more meets plus local meets take place.

How do I become a full member? Also I have a show ticket for this years japfest but its from the MPS owners club. Not sure if I can show my 3000gt along side mazda’s lol