First GTO ..MK1

Hi Guys
Happy to be saying hello here and owning one of these great cars

So i just acquired my first GTO.iTS A mK1 and in resonable condition .Its needs some tlc and a good drive ,Previous owner has owned it for 7 years and i was not even planning on this as i already have a VR6 Corrado which is now up for sale.As i have only owned Corrados before the GTO is all new to me and i am excited to have one of these great cars to start into and love.I will get some pics up when i have it home in a few weeks.I will be asking a load of questions here so bear with me…First thing is can someone recommend where i can find a good service manual .The car has been sitting and needs a service and a full check done…I am in N Ireland so also need to find a service center here…any help will be appreciated …thanks…Alan

2 Likes

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the club. Firstly can’t wait to see some pictures. There is a good manual and service guide available in the club shop for around £10 which is very useful. I’m not sure about service places in NI but eurospec in Guildford are a good place for these cars and evil empire (evilrob as a member on here I think) knows a lot about these cars and sell lots of kits and parts.

Cheers,

James

Hi James
Thanks for the info …i need to start from scratch with this ,its in good condition but was neglected …will look into ordering the manual…alan

Hi and Welcome to GTOUK :sunglasses:

When you get chance get some pics up , the folks on here love to see people’s rides .

Your certainly in the right place any questions just ask away , don’t be worried if you think it’s something trivial , we have all been there before

Regards

Craig :grinning:

1 Like

Cheers Craig ,I am currently looking into oil and filters …any suggestions for a good oil?

alan

Guys ,just checked out the owners manual in the websights shop.I see its only flash drive ,can I acquire the paper book for this?

The paper manuals are as rare as unicorn horns I’m afraid to say. They USB info can be printed but is 100’s of pages

Hi Alan

Welcome to theclub

If you need anything just give me a call please and i will be happy to help you

Sending stuff to NI is not a problem and its costs exactly the same as the guys pay in the UK from me too …

Regards Rob

I have just got a message from a breaker about replacing the breather
system on the car.It has some sort of aftermarket breather system which i
wish to replace with the original and then add a K and N and N lifetime
filter…theres manuals on ebay
meby these are not up to much?

Rob would you have an original breather box for a MK1.?
Would the car been jetted to house the aftermarket brerather system?..from memory it looks like two mushrooms with wire mesh filters.Will i be able to just fit the original replacement do you think without looking at the fuel?

I do indeed have a 2nd hand standard Airbox with a decent airfilter in it in stock if you need it

You will not need to touch anything as the car has Fuel Injection and the ECU can alter its settings automatically to a small degree you can just fit the airbox back on and the car will sort its self out for you

Give me a call tomorrow if i can help you further

01702-614469

Cheers Rob

Cheers Rob…set the airbox to one side for me …will be in touch in a few weeks when i get the car home…price for te airbox mate?..

what oil and plugs you recommend.
read this in a post
Fuchs Titan 10w 50 oil?
Denso Ik24 plugs?

Listen to it when its started. Alot of these get lifter tick. If yours does personally i wouldnt go 10 50 but stay at 10 40. I tried the 50 and got lifter tick after heavy driving so assumed the oil began to get to thick to coat the lifters properly. Switched back to 10 40 and i get a small amount on start up and thats it. As for brand good choice thats what i use

Thanks for the advice mark0

Guys is it still possible to acquire the padded heat protector that is fitted under the bonnet.The one on mine has perished and i could do with a replacement …

Hi Alan, welcome aboard buddy.

Steve

Welcome along mate a wealth of information in these pagesđź‘Ť

Yes it is , best bet is a main dealer as they are really really fragile and don’t like being posted , best bet is to order one and check it before you take it .

A lot of these type questions are on the site if you do a search using the search engine we have on here , which to be truthful is one of the best search engines I’ve ever used on a forum , only thing is as a new member a lot of the function of the site isn’t available to you as yet , as a full member though there is a vast amount of data within the site

Craig :grinning:

Thanks alot guys .i look forward to finding out all i can about these great cars…is the handbook i linked above worth investing in?

That book is ancient and i would recommend getting the memory stick manuals off the club and getting the repair data as well, as the book you have linked from ebay was a owners hand book not the workshop manuals you will need in the future.

Cheers Rob

I will reply to your earlier post in the morning regarding parts

1 Like