Hello new member in surrey

hi i am a new gto member, so far i have 8 gto’s, 5 twin turbos all broken, big ends gone, and 3 n/a two running one needing head gasket. I am just doing a full cambelt water pump and pulley change on one, then fitting a new radio, then the second one is going to get a full service, then I will rebuild the buggerd head on the blue one. some fool fitted a switch to turn on the electric fan and did not tell me, I only drove about 5 miles before the ■■■■■■ thing overheated…ah well will rebuild it,.

three of the twin turbos I am going to rebuild the bottom ends with heavy duty bearings, two are 2 bolt mains one is a four bolt main…could really do with four bolt mains but will have to wait and see about this, see if the engineering shop thinks thy can be done, don’t want extra power just normal twin turbo power will do for the 2 bolt mains…

the other two twin turbos are knackered and will be parts mules.

anyway am based in Normandy Surrey, where I have a small garage…really enjoy these cars the n/a are a bit slow but they do a really nice job and but for the crap interiors I just enjoy driving them…

1 Like

Hi @paul_obrien welcome to GTOUK :sunglasses:

Wow most have 1 or 2 but 8 , Christ your brave :laughing: get some photos up of all of them when you get chance

Craig :smile:

will do son has rebuilt the engine about four times, he can take one out and put it back in a day…he is real quick at it now…fed up of them breaking all the time though…most have not been looked after so its a long slow process making them reliable again…

Welcome to the club Paul,
So are these recent purchases or do you have many years of GTO ownership.

Rob

Lol love the hello message! Sounds like you’ve a fair bit of work to do on your hands. Don’t forget pictures :wink:
Not far from me at all in hook

1 Like

Ah ¥>%* @cdhm beat me to it! Lol

1 Like

I have been buying over a few years…however everytime I think i have a good one it breaks. the n/a one had a slight tinkle on start up, so we had a look pulley and belt look like they have never been changed so that is being done.

my plan is to get three engines rebuilt with heavy duty bottom ends but Rob at evil empire doesn’t really want to do the job, and I had had nothing from Ben at Eurospec after a phone call and email …so assume they are not interested so I am taking them to an engineering shop to see what they can do…we just want them to be reliable…

Matt my son wants to go for big power but he doesn’t have the money to make it reliable…

Hi Paul

Welcome to the club. I used to live in Aldershot so not far from you. I’m on the south coast now though but come up that way a lot. If you see a blue MK1 3000GT TT driving around its probably me!

That really surprises me about Ben. Probably just stupid busy but its worth phoning him and just booking him as they know these engines inside out :slight_smile:

They have been really busy recently. Call up and speak to someone.

Yes I know they do, and getting him to build a reliable one would be the right way to go. ROb contacted me and gave me the name of someone who can build one for me, ie take it back to new and re fit it, but I can do most of the rebuild element, just want someone who really knows these engines to build it with the right tolerances. on mine it has always been the bottom ends that go, so i want to build a tougher bottom end on two of them, one i will go for a full forged jobby the four bolt crank and let my son boost her up a bit…

I think these cars in 20 years will be real collectors items and very rare…they will go into my museum…

1 Like

Welcome to our little community @paulwart. I have had 8 GTO’s problem is they all have been the same car.

Get some pictures up buddy

Steve

1 Like

I will try to get the pictures up tomorrow…do I just add the photos or do i need to facebook or photobucket them…etc…

Drag n drop from your pc. You can upload via the mobile website really easily aswell if you use your phone to take the pictures. Its that good i rarely use a pc anymore.

crikey I made a mistake I have nine, three are wrecks, but its has been nine of them…

I am really keen to build a strong TT so I have a reliable car, totally unpractical with fuel consumption but hey ho…the n/a cars are fast enough for every day use and 25 + mpg regularly achievable. I just could do with a full cream leather interior to make them more enticing…

Just wanted to say that is one heck of a collection of military vehicles you’ve got. Ever so jealous!
A friend of mine once restored a Scammel pioneer that was great fun to help him with and drive!!
similar to this one
He’s also got a scammel tractor unit and I believe a ural
He’s in Berkshire Jeff Rogerson

yes, hmm not sure if I know him but I did know a guy with a ural in Berkshire think his name was Keith…but for the life of me cant remember…