I'm a Newbie

Hi,

Welcome to GTOUK, that is a very nice colour.

Cheers,
Neil

Smoking when coming off boost is normally the turbo oil seals. It is where the system is going from boost to vacuum very quickly and a bit of oil gets past the seal before it seats. Usually an early sign of a failing seal before it goes completely. If cleaning the dump valve works as @stevie suggested then try that but if not then checking the turbos is the next step.

I too need to clean and repaint my wiper arms. Orangey brown really doesn’t suit my car :joy:

1 Like

So pleased to see this still being used, I sold this in 2013 after my Father passed away and I inherited his current gto

1 Like

Hey,

It’s still very much so work in progress! It’s got the start of hgf as I found today :0(

[image1.JPG]

Always something with these eh!

What’s the history on this car then? I bought it July last year smoking like a James Bond party trick lol!

Two new turbos, fuel lines, centre prop bearing and 4 tyres later and it’s mot’d and driven most weekends ?

1 Like

My dad bought the car in 2002 and it was pretty much mint!
The only mods at the time was the leather interior, a powerflow exhaust and the works equip alloys as shown in my photo’s (I still have them!).
In 2007 the car was taken off of the road due to a faulty reverse gear and whilst being parked up someone reversed into the drivers front wing and the main ecu packed up.
In 2011 my parents had to move to a bungalow due to my dads health and the gto which hadn’t turned a wheel in 4 years was loaded up and taken to my house where its fate would be decided. Also at the same time his replacement gto was put into storage as he was no longer able to drive.
Unfortunately I never found the time to do anything with it and in 2012 my dad passed away.
It was left to me to get the other gto out of storage and mot’d to sell, but after getting it road legal I decided that it was better than the blue one and I should keep it and sell B7 DCA.
It ended up on Ebay and a really nice guy bought it and took it away, I can honestly tell you I was blubbing like a baby when I watched it go off up the road!!

It was my dad’s pride and joy, but much like me he took on too much in life and when it starting giving him trouble it got put to one side!
he actually replaced it for an evo 4, but later traded it in for another gto which is the one I currently own.

Would be great to catch up at a meet next year, I’d love to see the 2 cars together, it’s such a good feeling knowing that the car lives on, it’s funny I always felt very close to him when I was around it, which was why I was so sad it had to go, but I had to face the reality of it never being completed in my ownership.

4 Likes

Its fantastic when the history of the car is revealed. Started my own history on mine when I couldn’t find any information on the previous owner even though it had a GTOUK sticker in the rear window.

Hope to see you on a meet or two next year.

Terry :sunglasses:

2 Likes

As Terry says…read that and thought wow! Remember that last year I think being on eBay and having those problems…we were like stay clear but you sorted it, credit to you mate.
Dave :sunglasses:

I know the feeling well saying goodbye to a car and instantly regretting it!

It’s been a bitter-sweet first year with it, with the more it took off, the more i found to do. Glad i stuck with it though, it drives really well and quite suprising how well it goes!

Would love to meet up and get the two side by side. Where-abouts in the country are you? I need to get the head gasket sorted first, but i have the winter to scrape knuckles freeze sorting that out lol! It doesn’t help with a nipper on the way either! (Depsite what she says, it’s staying lol!)

3 Likes

It was me that came and collected with my mate i remember so well as there was a very steep hill not so far from yours and my van struggled pulling the gto up it was wheel spinning all the way up and the smoke coming of the tyres was mad then one of the straps snapped just before the motorway thank good and got wrapped up in the trailer wheels once i got it back took me about 6 months to get it on the road

Did you have it resprayed?

No i had front bumper wings and bonnet sprayed and the rest was mopped

Certainly came up well.

I didnt realise there was a ecu issue took me a while to realise that one lol it would run fine untill it got up to temp then switch off and wouldnt start till it got cold again

A 2nd hand ecu was fitted that I purchased from here, the one that was on the car wouldn’t start at all.

Hi @gazz200581 I knew your Dad, he came to me for a couple of Cat 1 alarms, I seem to remember an FTO but cant remember the other one, I was the one who did him a deal on the number plates, I traded in B7 DCA & some cash for D6 GTO which i still have & its now on my Mazda RX8, seems odd looking at the pictures & seeing the plates on different cars.

Cheers Julian.

Definately head gasket according to a ‘sniff’ test :frowning:

Will get the compression tester out at the weekend and see which bank is leaking! Sods law dictates its the back one, just to no be easy lol!

Once it’s back together, i’m up for an outing to run it in and could meet up. Not sure what show’s or meets are on around this time of year though.

Whereabouts are you based @gazz200581 ?

Yeah, one was the fto, I think the other was an evo 4.

I’m in sunny Dorset