Inherited gto

Hi all, I have recently inherited a import gto twin turbo and im having issues (told to expect them). it has been in storage for a few years. I have replaced fluids and belts and put a new battery and it starts. After just a short while it started to show signs of water in the oil. Head gasket was my 1st thought but i have been told it could be the oil cooler. can i ask is this a possibility as it would seem a much cheaper fix than a head gasket and is there a easy way to check if this is the case. it is a mk1 1991 twin turbo. thanks

Hi Peter,
Can’t see it being oil cooler as the oil system is separate from the water. Take the oil filler cap off and using a torch have a look inside the cover. Any white creamy stuff shows a possibility that it is the head gasket.
When running does the temperature gauge go up high? Could be a sticking thermostat, do the hoses get hard as if they’re pressurised?
The thermostat is located on the gearbox side of the engine and is quite easy to do.
Do you have a pressure tester that goes onto the water filler neck, it pumps up the system, if the H/G’s are good then it should hold the pressure, if you pump it up and the pressure drops then it may well be the H/G :disappointed:

Terry :sunglasses:

The oil cooler rad thingy is in the front left (passenger) wheel arch you can see it though the mk1 vents infront of the wheel. Check for corrosion at the pipe joins (seriously common issue) if oily residue replace as urgent.

But as terry said that won’t be the cause.
Water in the oil is almost always head gasket. :frowning:

Also where in the country are you?

Im in somerset near chard, and it does seem like a head gasket issue. anybody have a few days to spare or ball park figure on having it done and maybe a recomendation.

yes creamy mayo. booooo. next issue is how much it is likely to cost and any recommendations in the south west.

Wonder if that’s close to @NAS or @Beanus, just a thought.

Terry :sunglasses:

where abouts in SW?

chard in somerset ta20,

Hi and welcome to GTOUK :sunglasses:

Sorry to hear you are having problems , as the guys have said above it does sound very much gasket related :slightly_frowning_face:

These cars are fairly bullet proof if looked after and are no worse than others at this age , sadly a lot of people don’t understand them and are quick to jump on the problematic car band wagon .

Regards

Craig :grinning:

1 Like

Well i love the look of the car and every-time i go to my unit i look at it with yearning eyes. think im just gonna bite the bullet and scrape me knuckles with a few spanners. Anybody got a link to a workshop manual or know of a site that sells them please?

2 Likes

There is one for sale in the club shop mate.

1 Like

Have a look at this , this is a godsend for working on these , everything you need is on there as @DavePerky has mentioned

Craig :grinning:

1 Like

Also a good thing to do is become a full member, you then get access to all the technical sections here which are a huge wealth of knowledge and common faults and problems sorted by members :slight_smile:
Glad you’ve decided to keep it and sort it:-)

2 Likes