Newbie!

Yeah they are my nemesis, especially the split ones like i have outside my flat…■■■■■■ things!

Oh right, will definitely get down to a dyno or something to make sure its running sweeeeeet!

On a slightly unrelated topic… and what may seem a stupid ■■■■■■ question… what oil should i be using haha

Now thats a good question oil, In mine I have castrol 10-60 because the hand book says dont use lower than 10-? but some run on 0-40,50,60 so im still unsure myself.
Some one willput us straight im sure.

[quote]Now thats a good question oil, In mine I have castrol 10-60 because the hand book says dont use lower than 10-? but some run on 0-40,50,60 so im still unsure myself.
Some one willput us straight im sure.[/quote]

Oh right i see!

Come on someone! Beast needs oil!

10-40 myself?

0w30Redline in both of mine, 0w40 should be a good second option.

Read this, it’s lengthy but a damn good write up.

I ran 0w30 in the white car all last year and on strip down the big ends were in excellent shape despite me running slacker tolerances than stock motors.

Stick to the oil change intervals too.

André

It can also help to reduce or eliminate lifter tick too as this stuff actually flows!

André

Thanks Andre i thought there were other opinions on this subject,and good luck at the jap finals.

Cheers

André

Wow! That was a very long but very interesting read! Certainly plenty of information in there!
Ok so being up here in the chilly north will need to find myself one that is good for cold start ups :slight_smile:
Cheers for the info guys :slight_smile:

Welcome Roddy

Welcome Roddy

Hey guys, just a quick question

Does any one know how to tell if the gearbox is 18 or 25 spline? Or does it not really matter? My gearbox is a bit dodgy so looking for a replacement, at least so i can work on the old one.

Also does any one know of any for sale? Couple of other parts might be needed to, but not so important.

Cheers in advance :slight_smile:

Roddy

In all probability, as yours looks like a '93 it will most likely be a 25 spline.

I am assuming that yours is a 5 speed, not a 6 speed. This may sound daft where the 6 speed was found to be in the mk 2 cars and onwards however there have been examples of Mk1s with 6 speed gearboxes also.

If it is a 6 speed it is definitely the 25 spline, if not I believe I am right in saying that the easiest way for you to tell for sure is to drop the transfer case off and count the spines on the end of the output shaft.

André

Ok cheers!

Yeah its a 93 5 speed, so is it likely to be 25 then?

I know that the previous owner upgraded the output shaft to a 300mm or something? will this affect it at all?

If i can ill try and drop the box to have a look, really need to get it replaced now.

Thanks

25 Spline gearboxes appeared from the Factory after 3rd September 1992

And the 6 Speed box uses the same Shaft too

The MK1 was never supplied from the Factory with the 6 Speed Gearbox although many have appeared over here when imported, but these were most probably conversions done by owners in Japan

Cheers Rob

Ok, awesome! Thanks for the help

Next question… Any one know of one for sale? :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers

HI guys, just another quick question! (ps i do intend to get full membereship so i can see all this stuff!) ’

My 4WS warning light has come on, its usually on a colder day but it stays on for a while. It does then go off! But with varying length depending on drive style and temp etc

Could it just be the oil level? Does it run off another oil reservoir?
What oil do i need if this is the case!

Cheers! :slight_smile:
Roddy

Check your power steering fluid level and top up if necessary.

1 Like

Hi,
Could it just be the oil level=yes
Does it run off another oil reservoir=one reservoir runs all steering.
What oil do i need if this is the case=power steering fliud.

Looks the nuts.