Tuning, non turbo vs twin turbo

Tuning, is it easier and more practicable to tune a mk1 twin turbo version than a non turbo mk1 version? I would like to tune up to ~ 450 bhp. Would this cost more in a non turbo version or would it cost roughly the same? Could an auto gearbox handle that kind of power anyway or would that need to be replaced also?

Hi,

I’m no expert in this area but one thing is that I doubt the automatic gearbox could take the power especially if you add turbos onto a n/a. To be honest I would think it is more practical and probably cheaper to tune up a twin turbo

James

1 Like

I am also no expert. There are a few posts on tuned n/a. Just do a search. But I would agree probably easier and cheaper in the long run to get a twin turbo

There are autos running big power , however and I use this term loosely , cheapest option would be TT to reach your goal .

Now the reason I said loosely is there is no cheap reliable way to tune your car , yes a boost controller wound up and your fuel system maxed out will give you good figures , it won’t give you good figures for long .

You need a good base to start with then quality items , clutches fuel pumps injectors , turbos etc to name a few to give you some assurance of reliability .

You will also need some form of control whether that be a piggy back ecu or full standalone .

That is a brief overview and some good food for thought for you

Craig :grinning:

Thanks for your insight. My rationale for considering to tune a non turbo was that it could be cheaper considering that I would need a host of new parts for it anyway? Like new turbos and a new clutch etc. Is there a manual version of the non turbo to your knowledge? My dream car would have the sunroof, leather seats and cruise control, does a non turbo version even exist in this configuration anyway? I stumbled on this car the other day, the owner says it’s still unsold, what are your thoughts?

In the description it mentions a boost leak, I wonder if eurospec could fix this…:thinking:

The N/a came in both auto and manual variants , the Twin Turbo however was manual only , early cars were 5 speed and the later cars 6 speed

As for Eurospec , they can pretty much sort anything they know these inside out

Craig :grinning:

A lot of people who have started on the auto n/a and wanted more power have then gone on to buy a manual twin turbo. A well looked after twin turbo is a good starting base and can now, relatively affordably, be tuned to 450hp with few problems. So many different ‘proven routes’ to get to that particular goal. Where as starting with an n/a auto and tuning and converting is way way more complicated and a lot more costs involved.

Take a look at mine am open to decent offers a part ex has given me a relatively decent price. No running issues. It is mostly standard with exception of exhaust and filter. Going on around 5th June. There are bits that could go with her if the price is right if not im negotiable and can sell the spares separately. Would prefer the car to stay within the club but needs must and shes gotta go either way

Tuning an NA will never be easier or cheaper really. There is one guy who turbo’d an NA car but he had everything he needed in his garage so had a head start. The problem you will come across is the NA engine has much higher compression than the turbo engine which isn’t really suited to boost.
To reach that power level with a turbo car you will need Turbo’s, injectors, fuel pump, FPR and engine management of some kind. And thats pretty much it. Few other supporting mods such as exhaust and intake and intercooler but those normally get done anyway.
To do it on an NA you need a lot of parts from a Turbo car such as exhaust manifolds and the entire intake system so you will more than likely need a Turbo car for a donor.

Get a turbo mate. You won’t be disappointed.