ABS Relays

I have managed to sourced some ABS relays for the pre Aug 1994 cars
These have long been a problem with these cars, prone to failure, given the location they sit in, on the car. The set up is different on later cars

Originally made by Matsushita for Mitsubishi, they have always being expensive, and my understanding is, they are no longer available.

Given this is yet another area that could, potentially, take these cars off the road for good, I have looked into it.

Short story is…

I have sourced some Genuine Matsushita ABS relays.

The Hydraulic Valve relay is available immediately and is exactly the same part you would be supplied from Mitsubishi UK

The motor relay is a slightly upgraded part, with better sealing.
Also doesnt have the raised portion. Functionality identical, and made by same oem company.

I am selling the parts a LOT more reasonably priced than Mitsubishi EVER did.
These prices are exclusive to club members. Please DM if you are interested

Looking into this, quite a few car people, with similar systems, replace relays like this on a routine basis.
Relays are not designed to last forever, and are prone to sticking.
This can cause much, much more expensive problems.

ABS Hydraulic Valve Block Relay(smaller one) £40 delivered in UK
ABS Motor relay(larger relay) £50 delivered in UK

Both relays for £85 delivered in UK

Marty

2 Likes

Hi @Marty_K ,

A really good bit of work :+1: one comment- I thought I read somewhere that the relays on the mk2 pump one is different from the mk1 pump. Now this could be simply Mitsubishi giving them different part numbers as the pump design changed.

James

James, you are absolutely correct.
This only applies to pre 1995 cars where the relays are on top of the motor/valve block
The later relays are same as most of the others on the car
Marty

Out of curiosity, is there any functional or amp/current handling differences between the relays as they look same pins and size aside from the plastic top bit?

The Hydraulic relay is identical
The motor relay is the same aside from the raised portion on the top.

I do have some uprated ones in the pipeline, but are not fully researched or tested yet.

Marty

Maybe a misunderstanding, I meant what is the actual functional/rating difference(s) between the motor relay and the valve relay - do we think? They look interchangable.

From what I see the motor and valve relays are physically different one is 4 and one 5 pin. On the later ABS pump - I was looking at mine over the weekend they are both 4 pin and look the same - will confirm in the next few weeks.

James

Oooh, I see, the photos with two relays in are comparing the old relay against the new relay, rather than the two valve and motor relay. I see now.

Thats right @Mad_Luka, here’s a pic of the two side by side, the pump relay is a hefty current. I’ve just replaced mine thanks to relays from @Marty_K . My ABS is working properly again after a couple of long term faults ( flickering ABS light and ABS light coming on when car left idling and ABS pump sticking on) both faults solved with relay replacement. I’ll do a full write up and pics on faults, codes and replacing the relays when I get a chance this week, but very happy with the result and no need to change a sensor which is great news!!

1 Like

Yeah, side by side pics were for comparison purposes.
I will be looking into the later relays at some point, but I believe they are better protected in the car.

Marty

1 Like

Great work Marty

Mike