Alloy wheels

:?

hi all

when i took my insurance out ( see my post “second insurance story with happy ending”) told them i had 18" wheels fitted.

2 weeks later got phone call asking the value, not being in very good condition, so i said about £100, 2 weeks after that got letter saying still waiting for details of the wheels and their value

so i phone them and said i have give you this info, but said the same worth about £100

later get a phone call saying the excess has gone up £150 :? :shock:

just had a second call asking about the wheels which i have now taken off

they said the wheels i put on must be standard to get my excess back down to £350

any one else had this problem?

about 4 weeks ago payed £380 for 2 new tyers well p**ed off

anyone looking for a set of 18" wheels?

frfankie

erk hate it when they do that…
I had similar on my celica with 18" wheels on

How bad are the wheels ?

Insurance companies eh?

I only just got insured the 1st time around as I didn’t have the standard wheels on. They umed and ared about it but decided it was OK if I bought locking nuts for them and only said that because they were the 17" standard size.

Asked about putting a K&N filter on and they wouldn’t insure me!! :shock:

All seems nutz to me.

Dee.

I have the VR4 99 18" wheels on mine, and the insurance didn’t bat an eye lid. Maybe try telling them they are the same size as standard fitment and you will be better off.

what would the wheels cost brand new? as that is what you would want if the car was totalled/nicked. whats the cost if they are worth a grand?

When i insured my Astra van, I told them i had after market wheels fitted, they said thats ok but will only pay me for original Vauxhall alloys, which to me is ok cos they cost a lot more than the ones i have on :lol:

Julian.

Had the same with my car when i told them i had 18" mitsi wheels the premium went up,

it has doubled the original quote when i told them about the 13t’s :slight_smile: they even asked what horsepower the car would be

still i need insuring so bit the bullet and went for it.

Regards

Craig

[quote]
it has doubled the original quote when i told them about the 13t’s asked what horsepower the car would be

Regards

Craig[/quote]

this is all good and well but how the hell am i supposed to know what turbos are fitted to my car ?,for all i know it could have had anything put on when it was in japan ,are we all supposed to be tuning/modification experts

[quote]
this is all good and well but how the hell am i supposed to know what turbos are fitted to my car ?,for all i know it could have had anything put on when it was in japan ,are we all supposed to be tuning/modification experts[/quote]

ignorance is no defence… :?

To get back on topic, just tell them that replace with standard will do. That should get your excess back down and scare the sh*t out of them when they find out how much a genuine alloy costs.

Ian.

:lol:
hi all

i have now replaced the standard wheels and the insurance excess is now back down, the point of the post is not how much new alloys would cost, i would not expect new for old the cost i fixed at £100 what concerned me was that if anything happened to the car i would have to pay out £150 extra

if someone was going to steal the car it would not be for the fact that they had a set of 18" wheels on it, or if i run into someone it wouldnt be the coz of the wheels being bigger than standard

frankie

Direct line were okay about it, I didnt tell them they were 19" but just said they cost £1400 and they have price brackets that non standard alloys fit into.

I’m with direct line, I just got them to exclude my alloys from the policy - no extra fee required. I didn’t want to pay £250 extra for non standard alloys that I didn’t put on the car. They’ve made a note of it on the policy and everyone is happy.