Automatic transmission

Hi there
I just bought my GTO (1991)
I had no money for a twin-turbo manual
It’s a non-turbo automatic
Who has GTO like this?
And what’s your experiences about the strength, speed comparing with a twin-turbo manual?
Thank you for your answers

Hello,

Ive not had an experiemce there but this forum has seen it all

Moved to Newbie Section.

Hi and welcome to GTOUK

Steve

Cheers mate

Welcome to the forum.
I ave owned an ma auto myself, and currently have a tt .
I took the na auto to le mans with Gtouk many years ago.
It had no trouble keeping up in general, and I think the na gtos are more reliable.
Only time I really noticed was on a long hill, where the torque deficit showed.
Marty

Thank you, Mary for your reply. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve heard Marty called some things, but never a Mary :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Hi mate, welcome to the club, I have an n/a auto and n/a manual only real difference is how quickly you get up to speed with the manual being 5or6 speed and the auto being 3 speed + overdrive

1 Like

Sorry for the typo :sweat_smile:

Welcome to GTOUK Kende.I have 1991 Auto,I would recommend you change the auto gearbox filter and oil if you don’t know when it was last done :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thank you very much, it’s good to know. This is my first automatic transmission car, and my firs sport car too. :slightly_smiling_face:

It has 130k miles. The previous owner doesn’t know about the timing belt. Do you recommend to change it?

Welcome to the club Kende, its a Gto enjoy it and read up about the auto box as there are some mods you can do to keep it tip top, if you want to and definitely make sure on that cambelt etc.
Good luck with your car.

Welcome to GTOUK !

Thanks mate! :blush:

Cambelt is a must, if not certain its been done.
Water pump at same time.
Failure would be… …bad.
Marty
Ps. Agree on the auto oil and filter change
Bit of a pain to do as the filter is inside the gearbox sump, but well worth doing

Sign up at evilempireperformance he goes to great length to stock the highest quality parts

I got it. :+1: Cheers

Welcome to the club.
Enda

Hi and welcome to GTOUK

Some good info within the boards regarding the auto box , from external oil cooler upgrades to prolong the life of the box and also how to fit tiptronic paddles

Craig :slightly_smiling_face: