Bought a GTO yesterday, so another newbie for you

put a bulb/muti metter in it and turn the lights on see what happens :thinking:

1 Like

The plugs are under the rear trim that houses the rear speakers and they sit just behind the front seatbelt as the wiring loom passes from the front of the car to the rear and it’s activated by the side lights switching on

1 Like

Is that plug the old reverse light that’s been replaced by a fog light wire?

Dont think so, my fog is under the car and there are 2 wires that come into the boot and up towards the dash and to an added switch

Ill get a multi meter out if i remeber and see what switch brings it on

2 Likes

Sorry for the late responses. I’ll be sure to get a picture of the wiring once I’ve stripped some of the boot panels out (assuming the led strip wiring goes to the back. I imagine they run off the rear light clusters). I’ve got to sort the fuel pump out while I’m back there, as it’s making a strange whine for about a minute after I turn the engine off. When I bought the car, it had the fuel warning light on which if it has been ran low a lot, is a good way to knacker an old fuel pump unless the tank has been properly drained. I’m not sure what pump to get, as so many are advertised for the GTO/3000GT but have totally different fittings, unlike the trumpet inside the fuel pump/sender carrier. I’ve also seen two types of wiring even on the OEM parts; one with a connector plug, the other with separate posts for the live and ground. I think it’s supposed to be a Denso, but ideally I want a direct replacement as I don’t want to modify the feed pipe.

I’ve found some cam belt covers at last, they’re on the way and are a bit broken, but better than nothing. To be honest, I’m reluctant to join the club having requested to join the clubs’ Facebook page and the classified ads page, and neither of them have been accepted, which has made asking for parts difficult, but I’ll reserve judgement and give it some time given the nonsense going on presently.

Urgent jobs are the fuel pump (sod’s law I just filled it with ethanol-free high octane), then the leaking water pump (I’m probably going to have to take it to someone who knows these cars as it looks a pig of a job to do, along with removing the timing belt and everything that involves. Sheesh!) I have three chips in the windscreen which I have repair kits for, then I better focus on servicing the transfer box, rear diff and do the auto gearbox in case the last owner used the wrong oil.

The clamp or strap secures the battery to the tray is missing, so if anyone has one for sale, please let me know. I’ve got an original spare wheel with 29 y/o Toyo space saver, tool kit and rear load cover available if anyone needs one? Thanks.

Our Facebook page is no more same as the classifieds , we archived them due to people abusing it , so don’t worry about that

1 Like

Oh right, thanks for the heads up. Some of the posts and ads looked recent, so was a bit confusing. Okay, I’ll join right this minute then. Cheers.

1 Like

@ricky have You tried @GSXRKID Rob ( Evil Empire ) for fuel pump and other parts ?

1 Like

I’ve had a look at his site (Evil Empire, :smiley: I like it) and there’s still different pump types and only one is advertised as a direct replacement, but it’s an upgraded, higher flow rate, and so little more than I can afford for a rough looking, non-turbo. I don’t mind paying for quality but I’m just after a bog standard pump. It’s handy that he sells the entire carrier unit with pump and sender as it looks a bit fragile, so I may well have to spend out if mine snaps or has degraded, plus there’s loads of other bits I want from the shop too.

The best thing to do is phone Rob direct and talk to him about any parts 9 times out of ten he will come up with something or will give You the best advise !

2 Likes

Ricky the NON TURBO cars ahve a much smaller fuel pump in them and using one of the ones designed for a turbo car will make it over fuel like a bitch and never run right

Has anyone on here goot a Non Turbo Fuel pump spare you could buy ??

Cheers Rob

2 Likes

Thanks Rob. I thought they might be overkill, although I’d probably have ran it with a pressure regulator, but that would be more expense over what I was hoping to directly replace. I’m surprised they’re harder to find, but then again the higher performance cars tend to be the ones that live on due to market/desirability.

I just hope I can pull out the sender/carrier thing as the top of it looks pretty damn rusty from when I looked at it today. I also noticed there’s power going to it when the engine is off; I assume that’s so the fuel gauge can display the level at all time.

I’m not prioritising well, but here are my new floor mats. For an extra fiver, they add a heel plate.

A couple of questions please, firstly does anyone know if this mystery switch in front of the gear selector is standard?..

…and is this an ECU under the drivers’ seat? I’m guessing it’s for the memory settlings. The seat is pretty much w*nked now, so if anyone has a lightweight bucket seat or similar for sale, please let me know.

Reckon thats your foglight switch mate

1 Like

For any of you gentlemen who needed to see how the LED wiring was err… wired, I did a quick video. This is exactly as I found it, the wire was led under the boot storage box and was disconnected or broken off from its crude splice into the right hand tail lamp cluster. The rest of the wiring followed suit to the other side. I’ve kept both the LED strips (as yet untested) and the wiring if anyone wants them? The entire boot trim, spare, tools, wiper motor, wash pump, antenna and parcel shelf are available in fact.

Can anyone tell me of this timing belt tension looks right please? Does the tension increase when the engine runs and one of the cams on the rear bank is under load from an open valve, hence why that is under more tension?

Thanks for your help.

Ricky , as this is the newbie section and you are now a full member I’m going to lock this post off :+1:

Your Last couple of posts do you want to replicate in either the tech or project section ?

Oh, okay thanks. I’ll just start a fresh topic in one of the members areas once I’ve got a bit more done.

1 Like