Breakdown Recovery etc

I have put this title thread under the Insurance category because it was relevant at the time of my insurance renewal.
For absolutely ages, up until just about a year ago, I was a “Gold” member of the AA. In the 40 years or so I stayed with them, I think I have only called them out about 3 times. One of those occasions was more serious though, involving my old gal, who let go of her coolant via a totally corroded radiator about 12 miles from home. The AA got us back, and it was a great service.
Since then, the membership premiums kept going up and up, so last year I left them, and while sorting out my new insurance premium with Adrian Flux, I took up their “Flux Recovery” . This was an extra £135 on top of my insurance premium, but at least covered more vehicles than just my old gal.
This year I thought I’d take another look at the AA again.
I called them, and was initially quoted £131 for a multi-car breakdown cover. I told them that the cost wasn’t competitive and that I no longer needed to talk to them, at which point the fella produced £40 out of his hat, making my multi vehicle breakdown cover now £91. This was for Roadside, AA assistance, and Recovery, basically the lot.
So, there are these so-called margins, which, if you don’t try, will be missed.
Previous posts from members on this subject, dating back to 2010, also highlight a similar trend
Shop around for your breakdown cover, as well as your insurance cover.

Mike

9 Likes