Check your car's security

[quote]
TC2 or Cat 2 (category) systems are immobilisers.
TC1 or Cat 1 (category) systems are alarms and immobilisers.

:lol:[/quote]

This is also incorrect, if you take for instance the Toad Ai 606 Cat 1 its Thatcham number is TC2-1121/1199 The last four digits tell you when it was given Thatcham accreditation ( November 1999 ) All the Cat 1 alarms I fit start with either TC2 or TU2 so this is not an indication to its stature :smiley:

Julian.

Yep that’s want I was trying to say Julian, the TC code it on the list is Thatchams own internal code not one that we can refer to, other than the date, by the looks of things. The Lists are headed by whether they are Thatcham 1 or 2 etc. Shame they are so long. Thanks for the info re the date.

Kevin

Thanks to both of you for sorting this out! So I did have a Thatcham approved Cat 1 alarm all along! Adrian Flux just couldn’t be arsed to do their homework properly and made me fork out for a piggybacked Cat 2 Viper on top!! There’s a moral to this story somewhwere… :cry:

Yet more info for you guys…

The main reason most of these systems get de-listed is 'cos the immobiliser manufacturers have to pay an annual fee to have them listed with thatcham. If they bring out a new model they stop paying the fee for the old one, so it gets de-listed. Also if the company goes bust the renewal fee isn’t paid and they will also be de-listed.

Kevin

I got the original paperwork for the a Clifford 50x Concept alarm/imob on the car which states its a Cat 1.

Do alarm systems every get downgraded? It is nearly 10 years old now!! :frowning: Although it also probably need replacing as the siren crackles!!

OK just read the second page, so looks like it probably no longer a valid alarm system, therefore I assume my insurance could be invalid!!! :shock:

See the link at the top of the page. As long as it was fitted before Aug 1999 then it is still a Thatcham Cat 1 immobiliser. My last post explains why it has been de-listed. It’s not that the standards have been raised and it’s not good enough. :lol:

too confusing, not really the insurance companies fault this time :lol: in that case still have a cat 1, but still probably going to replace it :smiley:

I didn’t reply through fear it would escalate to this.
I simply am not going to stoke this fire.