CLEAR CAM COVERS/TIMING COVERS

Hi all just had a question as ask the community members. In regard to clear poly-carbonate cam covers 3sx.com in the US sells them for around $400 usd a pair, and just wanted to know if anyone makes them in the UK and what is the going price? also in regard to a clear timing cover yes a clear timing cover that I have not seen made by anyone anywhere for the 3000GT/Dodge Stealth or whatever they are called in UK or Europe which would be ideal to have just wanted your guys opinions on this and would would be an ideal price in USd or Euro’s if someone was to get it made? Obviously quality and fitment needs to meet or exceed standards. It wont be easy making a clear poly-carbonate lower timing cover, perhaps that is the reason why 3sx has not made it or thought of making it.
Cheers!!

Only know of those cambelt covers from 3sx.

No one else sells them as they fill up with cam belt debris and other stuff and look appalling after a few months of being fitted as they fill up with dust and other crap.

This is why i don’t sell them.

3SX is the only place that sells them i as far as i know

So wouldnt it be the same with the factory plastic covers? same meaning to what you have stated? so does everyone that has the same opinion as you dont use cam covers at all factory or aftermarket clear covers?

1 Like

Have you personally seen anyone with these clear cam covers on their MK1 or MK2’s? I have not yet bought these clear covers for my custom build considering I have heard that the quality and fitment is not superior from our forums here in the US that is why I was curious to know what your members in the UK have to say about it. Also the idea of having the entire cake meaning clear cam covers and a clear lower timing belt cover so one would get to see the entire timing belt rotation and pulleys which in my opinion would be somewhat of a show build.

My thoughts are having a lower belt cover is unnecessary, the amount of work to produce it far outweighs the view as the engine side mount, inter cooler pipe and chassis box section makes the whole thing virtually invisible. The space there is so limited that its not like its on display. The idea is nice but the lack of space means you’d only see down there with a torch. However, its your build, we all have our thoughts on personalisation of our cars and with the advent of @DavePerky LED’s you could light it up to give it a wow factor. I have only ever seen one car with clear covers and @GSXRKID is right. The dust and muck that gets behind those covers makes it look tacky and require regular cleaning.

Good luck on your rebuild and get some pictures up, we just love pictures of these cars and the progress members make with what they are trying to achieve.

Terry :sunglasses:

Hi, yes I do agree with the great points you have made, however, the reason to have clear cam covers and a clear timing belt covers are for those that have invested a great deal of time, energy and money in getting their build fit for a show car contest, so to speak. But then again it is not for everyone. I have made a recent youtube video on my build for Joe @ 3000GT Restorations forum. I have also mentioned in earlier threads that I am well aware of these JDM engines having a fairly tight fit in the engine bay, however, fitting proper lighting such as leds shall compensate for poor visibility of the entire timing belt in action. I do believe I shall be the first to offer clear timing belt covers along with cam gear covers sold as a set to those who want it for their amazing Mitsubishi GTO engine builds worlwide.
Just type in BLUE TAHOE VR4 in the YouTube search bar, there should be 2 parts of the video. My first time making a youtube video considering my age so please excuse the vocabulary, grammar and poor lightning. Hopefully I shall get better in making more vdieos.

1 Like

I have deleted the previous youtube videos because I was not at all happy they way they came out, so I am in the process of making a new one by today and shall post the link for everyone. The video shall only show the entire engine build and engine bay and the next few upcoming videos shall be on the front suspension and then cosmetics. The body in in great condition including the interior. I am staying with the entire active aero system that most people get ride off. A full straight pipe borla exhaust shall be installed. K-sport lowering springs with some nice aftermarket wider wheels and lastly a new paint job. For tuning I shall install a standalone ECU later down the road but for now just keeping everything as stock as possible. The rest of the work shall commence spring of 2022.

3 Likes

Greeting to all members, I would like to get your opinions on the above topic:
IF a set of clear machine grade POLYCARBONATE cam gear AND lower timing cover were offered to those that wanted it, what would be a reasonable cost for the set? Taking into consideration the following: The covers shall be 100% replicated to the factory ABS plastic covers, so there shall be no issues of poor fitment, as it has been discussed on multiple forums regarding the company 3SX in the US that offers ONLY the cam covers in low quality clear polycarbonate for a cost of $400. Also taking into consideration that these covers shall be made of machine grade polycarbonate that shall be heat, scratch, chemical and impact resistant, a material way superior then your normal ABS plastic that obviously is not transparent.

Hi Terry, as for the dust and muck that would get inside these clear cam covers as you have stated and what @GSXRKID has said, isn’t it the same for the ABS plastic factory covers? if yes then one will not know how much dust and muck and other foreign objects get inside unless the remove the factory covers to take a look. AND if the factory covers do not prohibit foreign material in getting in then would’nt that be a concern of timing belt rotation interference that could be catastrophic?

Hi bud, having done four cam belt changes, when the covers come off they have black dust and grime and require washing before reinstallation. If you want to go clear be prepared for dust to be inside the covers. It will be a gradual build up, not an immediate thing. It wouldn’t be a great amount that could be problematic for the engine. Just giving my thoughts on it that’s all, would like to see pictures when done though.

Terry :sunglasses:

HI yes and so i have seen when the factory covers come off, especially the top cam covers, but I may have a few ideas how to stop that from happening for the clear ones that I am getting soon including the lower timing cover that shall also be clear and the first ever. I am sure there shall be tons of questions and shall all be explained in my next upcoming YouTube video when I get these covers on the engine.

1 Like

HI ALL new video is out: On the question of dust that collects inside such as the timing belt rubber residue, the factory covers were not designed to be 100% dust or liquid proof coming from the outside, however, getting the belt residue that apparently can be seen using clear covers , compressed air with a long fine tip nozzle head on a trigger style gun at around 60 to 80 psi. Then again the philosophy is what cant be seen does not hurt, I think not, eventually what cant be seen will be seen in other ways.

HI ALL FYI
eBay item number:

This is mis use of the Newbie Section.

"This section is for the use of introduction of a new member, to say hello and generally get to know other members.

The intended use is for research/knowledge for a perspective vehicle purchase and must not be used for technical questions after purchase.

FAQ provides a vast amount of technical information should this be required.

This section does not allow use of for sale posts, any such posts will be deleted.

Moderation may be implemented should a post not comply with intended use, continued posting on a newbie post or previous paid members using it for free information then post will be locked or removed.

I have now locked this post.

Steve

2 Likes