Climate control display

What’s the going rate on a mark1 climate control unit?
Also who needs one?

Hi
I am looking for a new climate control unit
Normal rate is £40 -£50
I would be interested to take it off your hands ?

Darren

Just look on eBay- getting expensive

James

Just seen two on ebay arm and leg price as getting rare.

1 Like

I have just had a look one is goung for £200

Wow :open_mouth: is it really worth it? I recall someone managed to get them fixed - can’t remember who.

100 a unit!

I have 3 units which are all broken if anyone knows somewhere that fixes them ?

This has been going on for a long time, yes there was a company purporting to be able to fix them, hell, even @DavePerky has had a go at fixing these. The company never did a successful unit so in the long run working ones will become more expensive. The problem of having no working unit, I think @GSXRKID said it burns the computer out that sits underneath.

Terry :sunglasses:

1 Like

The problem is to repair them properly you need to remove the display to fix a track that goes underneath it that burns out and causes the problem in the first place and it’s a major problem to get the display off the printed circuit board without destroying either the board of the display itself as it’s a 60 pin display i think from memory.

All these people that advertise they can fix them on ebay are just dreaming…

I am currently working with the original guy who can fix them, as he owns a Infra red de-soldering station that cost him £6k to buy and he can disassemble them to fix them properly without damaging anything.

I will announce something as soon as he has his test rig working and in place to repair them and test them afterwards

But they wont be cheap to repair as they are very time consuming to do.

The depressing thing is that every single display will eventually die on in these cars so if you have a colour display in your car its not a case of its not going to die its more of a case of when !!!

4 Likes

Mine is working but there is a little flicker in the diplay every now and then . Is this a sign that its starting to fail?

Oh god I’ve opened up a can of worms lol, I’ll have an in depth look in when I get home and put up a selling post. Cheers guys

Would the same climate control from the galant fit? I’m sure it’s the same unit?

Doesn’t look the same although the connector might be

Not sure where my post on this went, but I got mine fixed for £85 by a computer repair place in Pangbourne, Berks. I think the cost was very reasonable, mainly because the unit got a good look over and overhaul by someone who knows this stuff a lot better than me, and they had the equipment to do it.
You can’t buy these new anymore, and I would think that any from breakers are circa £80 - £150. I know we had a member sell one on here recently for a tidy sum. The issue here is whether you acquire one which is in good shape, and will last the course before it too begins playing up.
If you ask the question whether the climate control unit is worth repairing, I certainly would say yes. These units are part and parcel of the front dash and instrumentation makeup of these cars. They can of course just sit there and do nothing should you decide not to bother repairing it. But I have to say that a vehicle with all its bits in working order must be more saleable, not to mention the satisfaction you experience knowing that the thing is back working once again. Mainly the earlier climate control units are the ones which are plagued by faults, similar to the problems encountered with Mk1 engine ECUs, where inferior capacitors were fitted, and later ruptured, causing a flood of electrolyte over the circuit board.
Do you do it yourself…? Well for me the answer is definitely NO. I’d rather do another cambelt/gearbox/top dash defroster vent replacement any time. The article on the Stealth/3Si forum about climate control unit repair is very comprehensive, (another amazing piece of work by Jeff Lucius). However, if you want to try this repair yourself, you’ll need:-

• The hands - about 5 pairs of - of a Vietnamese child
  • The eyesight to match
  • A soldering and desoldering station (circa £160 for anything decent), preferably with a vacuum trigger on the soldering iron
  • A steady workbench or platform to put the above on.
  • and a lot of patience.
    My CCU began acting up when the display failed intermittently. Sometimes it would come and go, and in the later stages it would stay unlit. The mode controls still worked ok however, it’s just that I couldn’t see what I’d selected on the screen. Apparently this is the first stage of unit failure.
    The repair calls for the “VFD” part to be removed first, before you can get to the appropriate capacitors/transistors/resistors. You need to desolder the VFD from the main body of the unit before you can to lift it clear, and there are many pin posts to clear and clean.
    Mess up with runaway solder, or be over zealous with the soldering iron, or any overheating, and you are finished.
    This might be a decent little cottage industry if you invest in the skill, time, and certainly the equipment.
    Good luck to those contemplating a repair themselves - I take my hat off to you.
    Anyway, ASAP Computer Repairs, Pangbourne, Berks 0118 984 5005. A fella named Mike (good name) did mine.

Mike

5 Likes

Hi Mike,

That’s is some great detail you put in there after reading it I think I will follow your advice and see if Mike ( the guy with the good name ) can help me with mine also and I will post the results fingers crossed

Thanks again

I will be happy if this indeed enables everyone to get their displays fixed for a reasonable cost as this is going to be a major headache for all cars pre 1996 when the displays were changed by Mitsubishi to a later less colorful design.

And their price is much cheaper than the ex GTO owner who offered to do them for us was going to charge

So that’s a Win Win as far as i am concerned

1 Like

How long you been saying that… wasn’t that b4 we were gonna vote to leave the EU ? See if you can sort it b4 Brexit in 2025 :rofl:

1 Like

Your hoping… maybe in 2005 :rofl:
Been sky high for years… 3 years ago they were selling at £120 plus… as I used to sell them… now every scrap mk1 has dead units.

They need to be done when they start flashing b4 they go off really as I’ve seen boards with upto 10 problem area’s.

Did warn you guys to get them done b4… they will smoke… over heat and go off… Game over as a rule…
Dunno how yours was?

And yes I successfully removed font panels, however gone way too far…

Dave