Climate control display

If someone is good with electronics may wants to take on the challenge, we do have some smart people in here Terry :wink::grin:

Just got back home @James3000GT, next on my list. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Didn’t mean to be so snappy @spiros, just that many a good person has tried but if @■■■■ can do it then great. :stuck_out_tongue:

Terry :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m new to the club so I’m just wondering if this is the point I am supposed to jump in with the bell and call end of round one.
I was hoping to help out the club members with a little bit of advice and education. I did not expect it to turn into an argument. I wish I could have done a quick page in the how to section but electronics do not work like that. With mechanics, you get to use all of your senses to solve the problem and quite often there will be only a couple of possible solutions to solve a fault.
You can smell a fuel leak. You can hear the engine fire. You can see the engine turn over. You can feel if something is hot and you can easily describe the symptoms or solution to someone else. None of these senses play any part in solving electrical issues. If there is a power cut at your house. None of the lights or appliances will work but have they all failed at the same time? Maybe, maybe not. There could have been a lightening strike that took them all out or some muppet could have flicked a switch. To find the answer, we use knowledge, experience or better still, someone else who knows what they are doing with electricity. They are called electricians and they spent a lot of years studying to know what they know.
To me , the heater display board is one of the most simple and basic circuits I have ever worked on. No schematic is required because it is so basic, I can do the layout in my head. I could describe how the circuit works and how it is divided into its component sections of power, display driver, display heater, switch interface, illumination and controller but would anyone be any wiser? If the power section breaks down then so will everything else in the circuit but did something else cause the problem like the muppet flicking the circuit breaker or did the power section just fail. I hoped the tips and pointers I gave would help the brave few who want to have a go, but this is really a job for a professional person. I do not need the money and I certainly don’t have any spare time on my hands but I genuinely like to help people out. I suggested that you tried the professionals suggested by other members but if you are either, not happy with the price or don’t feel satisfied with the service or skills of the person that has been recommended, I am more than happy to help club members.

End of part 1.

In part 2, I will give you my background and set a challenge with a financial reward later tonight.

1 Like

I Never thought You were snappy Terry :smile:

1 Like

There is not argument whatsoever Joe and thank You for Your input on this great info to have !

Part 2
A little earlier than planned but I needed a break from stuff that I can’t be bothered with.
So you first have to read through some boring crap about my background and then there is a chance to earn some money for nothing. I only want to tell you background because I get the impression that my skills are being questioned. I am feeling the exact reverse and questioning why any electronics engineer would struggle with such a basic piece of circuitry.
All my life I had known that electronics was going to be my future. Ever since I put my fingers into one of the old round pin plug sockets and got my first buzz. I was about 3 at the time and health and safety was still confined to nightmares. My parents reminded me that I would not do that again in a hurry. But I did and forever wondered how something so painful could be so exciting. In my early teens, I started my studying and not long after leaving school, I got into TV servicing. I found that I had a special understanding of electronics that went beyond what you can be taught. I soon needed more and started looking to the horizon and space. Perhaps I was dreaming but a new technology was emerging in the way of satellite TV or earth station receivers as it was more commonly known in the industry before the days of Sky. All of the technology was coming from the States at the time and was having to be shipped back to the states for repairs. I expanded my company to include servicing for earth station satellite and tracking systems. It wasn’t long before manufacturers needed my service work to avoid costly shipping and I secured contracts with Drake, Chaparral and EchoStar. It was during my time with American Satellite companies that I found my first true love. No not her indoors but my 3000GT SL which now lives with me back in the UK. I went on to do design work and upgrades for many of the domestic satellite TV receivers that some of you may have in your house today or have had at some point in the past.
Satellite receivers are not much more than glorified TV tuners set in the 950-2000mhz range so the work was so easy that for more than 10 years I offered a legendary service. If your product was not repaired within 1 hour, the job is free. I was so confident in my skills that in 10 years I only completed 1 free job and it was because I didn’t have the part in stock.
So you say that many others have tried and failed with the displays. That’s not going to be me. While I prefer you to go to someone who needs the business, I like a challenge so here’s a challenge you will love.
You pay me £50 to repair your display within 2 weeks.
If I fail to repair any display unit, you pay me nothing and I will pay YOU £50. The exceptions are.

1. It cant have been sabotaged. 2. No repairs can be attempted prior to me. 3. Does not include damage such as broken glass display or burnt up board.
    Challenge 2
    You pay me £75 to repair your heater display within 1 hour. YES, ONE HOUR.
    If I fail, you pay me nothing and I give you £50. All the same exceptions as above.
    Now, who wants them fixed and who is so sure that they will get £50 that they will send one just for the challenge?
4 Likes

I’ve not read any post questioning your ability or knowledge .

Let’s keep this civil all as these sort of posts can turn quickly and never end well

3 Likes

Sorry to CDMH and any others I offended. I must have misread something. Can I put it down to the clocks going forward and the fact I am working through the night tonight. No offence was taken at any time.

4 Likes

I can relate to the sat boxs , back in the day when a customer would drop in a faulty reciever we had become so familar we could stick the components needed for repair to the unit before sending it in to the workshop. :grin:

There you go.

What I was trying to say @■■■■ but as usual I mess it up is that to the average joe, no pun intended, like me, doing circuit boards is as alien to me as walking on the moon. I have neither the expertise nor want to do something like what you have so wonderfully described. A big up for your knowledge. I just said that, I haven’t read your part two as, like @CDMH somewhere along this discussion things have gone awry. I am not dissing your expertise just saying that before you posted, the idea of these units being repaired was a lot of people trying and failing. Being able to repair these is like a breath of fresh air blowing away the desperation felt from members that these displays could never be repaired.
I for one applaud your being able to repair these and you will have people queueing up for your services, AND you will blow away all the bull that surrounds this particular item.

Have a good night, ol’ greeny is calling so I have to go.

Cheers,

Terry :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks Bud. Have a read of part 2 and let me know what you think.

Hi All,

I here is a update regarding Joe’s Climate control repair skills for you. I sent Joe my climate control to fix for me and I have just had it back and really quick, I can honestly say this Joe you are a superhero
I sent it off you repaired it and it can back totally working and like new I took my spare out my car and fixed the repaired one in and it works like a dream I have been out today for 3 hours and it didn’t miss a beat I am so please and so thankful so if anyone is a none believer I hope this will help you.
I have another broken control which I will differently be sending your way Joe

Thanks again Darren

10 Likes

Great news well done Guys !

2 Likes

Thanks Darren. I appreciate the feedback.

So you agree to buy something but can i hold it for you. No message to say that you dont want it no more. Great class of new members coming on here :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: wont take people on face value again

Colin,
Reading your post it was obviously meant for me so lets clear this up

1. Have I messaged you to say I have changed my mind on our arrangement ?
    Answer NO
  2. Have you messaged me to see if our arrangement was off ?
    Answer NO
    So you have made to decision the arrangement is off not me which is your prerogative and is fine.
    Here is some advice for you before you throw your toys out and start stamping your feet send a message and ask a question I am a bit shocked at some of the remarks made as we are adults and this is meant to be a club where we help each other, I have spoken to a lot of great people and got some great advice and I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can at the meets and shows etc so lets not make this a playground.

Have a good day.

2 Likes

Well your a slippery little @@@@ arnt you. Turn it round to make me look bad.
So you’ve had one fixed & got a spare your going to send to be fixed… so why would you want a third. End of.

This is getting boring now if it’s any or your business why I want a third I have friends that aren’t in the club who have tried to repair them with no success and it’s a cheaper option
I hope this explains things to you and I hope we can put this behind us and move on and get on in the future.

2 Likes

This post has been flagged 3 times.
Please reply on topic and keep any arguments/disagreements between the parties involved off the forum.

Steve

3 Likes