Donnington Park Trackday

sorry guys i will not make this dam car is still in bits and i need a part to have it running, sorry. :cry:

just like to say i had a brilliant day, (will be better next time when am actually on the track!)
nice to meet a few people! :smiley:

[quote]just like to say i had a brilliant day, (will be better next time when am actually on the track!)
nice to meet a few people! :D[/quote]

Always good to meet new and potential members :slight_smile:

What a day had around 100 miles of track time car ran well, brakes lasted until the last session then I got unusual things happening, judder and vibration through the steering wheel and pedal, even grinding. Wheels off and the pads still had 5mm of brake pad left, so I need to find the fault before xmas do.

Homer managed to get a pit garage for us all, which was a godsend. We all worked as a team, Homer bringing everything but the kitchen sink and julian with the fuel :slight_smile:

I would like to say thanks to Homer and Julian fantastic day on and off the track.

The cars performed excellently NOT the fastest but up there with them :slight_smile:

sounds a good day out stevie. hope you get the grinding sorted.

I was a virgin to all this & although i am running an N/A still managed to hold my own ( well nearly ) but had a great time never the less, all the better for the other members that were there, & meeting other GTO owners that were non members. good day out ( whens the next one :smiley: )

Julian.

i really fancied this, glad you had a good time, still not sure if i would put mine on the track but i will defo come next time.
is there a beer tent??
anymore pics julian

Only took a few stills, most of the rest is on DVD from inside the car whilst running, shows the evidence of two cars passing me, one a TT from Sheffield & one an N/A with Nitrous from Immingham ( ish ) now i wonder who they were, Hmmmmmm ?

Julian.

aye the one from sheff was going that fast the stickers blew off, funny that it happened to my van!! lmao only kidding steve, they are all still on there, i just keep it under 30mph!!! :lol:

Iā€™d like to come to the next if theres gonna be a next 8)

Me and Mark really enjoyed ourselves yesterday, a great day out with great company. Nice to meet 3 new couples in their GTOs aswell.

For those thinking about maybe trying this in the future, hereā€™s a brief round-up of the day;

08:00 Track sign-on in the diner. Indemnity forms were filled out and handed over in return for driver and passenger wristbands.

08:30 Safety briefing in the race control offices. A quick run-through of the format of the day, flags and signs, track etiquette, rules in and around the track and an overview of the track conditions. Once completed, another wristband was issued.

09:00 We managed to find one of the last available pit garages. The 38 garages each house 2 cars, with a space infront of each garage for another car. This was perfect for us having 3 cars on the track! The garages are free, and on a first come first served basis. Most had been taken very early in the morning. All the cars were unloaded of tools, spares and equipment, firstly to make them lighter, and secondly to prevent anything loose flying around the cabin if anyone did crash.

09:20 1st intermediate session starts. 20 minutes of going fairly slowly, whilst everyone learns the track layout and the conditions. As it had rained in the night, the track was very greasy and slippery, and most of the first session was done under flashing yellow lights and waved yellow flags. Needless to say, there were quite a few cars sat on the grass beside the track, or in the gravel.

09:20 1st session ends. Pulling into the garage we notice a squeaking from the front of my GTO, and my suspicions about the stgate of my crankshaft pulley are confirmed. Luckilly I had bought a spare with me, so half hour later we are ready to run again!

10:20 2nd 20 minute session starts. Mark (my mate) gets his first drive on Donington, in what was also his first time driving a GTO! The track was starting to dry out at this point, and a definate dry racing line had appeared through most of the corners. Unfortunately we discovered that the wet part of the track was still extremely slippery, as we pirouetted through Redgate corner backwards! Apart from this, and a slightly sideways incident at the chicane, Mark did really well and enjoyed driving the big old bus that is a GTO!

11:20 Final session of the morning for us, and I was back in the driving seat. By now nearly all the track was dry, but the low sun and the wet corner at Coppice was catching out a lot of Z3s and Z4s!

12:00 Lunch in the Pitstop Diner. Not the best food in the World, but it fuelled us up for an afternoon behind the wheel.

12:50 First session of the afternoon. For the first time during the day, my brakes started to feel a little spongey towards the end of the session. Slowing from 110 to 40 MPH at the end into the Chicane, and from 100+ down to 50ish for Redgate and the Old Hairpin, was starting to take itā€™s toll.

13:10 Back in the garage, all brakes bled with dot 5.1 fluid. The front calipers were full of black fluid from getting too hot. This fluid had only been in the car for about a week - but it only take an hour on a track to start cooking it. For future track days I will be taking at least a half litre of fluid, and bleeding the front brakes at dinner time as a minimum.

13:50 Second afternoon session. Things are starting to flow a lot better now. The marshalls had words with a few drivers in our group, reminding them that they have to pull over and slow down to let cars past which are clearly much faster than them through the corners. One particular driver, in a Lotus Elise, was slow as hell through the bends (where you canā€™t overtake), but every time he pulled over to let us past, he floored it, accelerating at exactly the same rate as the NA GTO. During the afternoon sessions though, it was clear that they had a better understanding of what they were supposed to do. Brakes were feeling much better now, with no fade at all.

14:10 Back in the pit garage, and Stevie is starting to worry about his brakes. We get it jacked up and inspect the front brakes, but thereā€™s no signs of any problems which are causing the severe brake judder through the steering wheel and the pedal. All we can put it down to, is the combination of EBC grooved and dimpled discs with redstuff pads (the smae combination shook violently on my wifeā€™s Prelude aswell).

14:50 Final session of the day. We finally got our line right through Craner curves, and realised all you need is balls to keep the throttle pinned from Redgate, through Hollywood, down the hill and through the off-camber Craner curve. This sees the car hitting 110 MPH as you bounce over the rumble strips, before hitting the brakes hard to slow down for the Old Hairpin. Getting this line right mustā€™ve shaved a couple of seconds a lep of my times, but not having the camcorder in the car with us, weā€™ll never know!

15:30 All the tools and equipment packed up, and the garage emptied, it was time to make the return journey home. First stop was Donington Services to fill up with super unleaded. Overall we had burned a full tank of V-Power from the M1 service station to the track, and 2 hours of track time. On future days we will be adding a 25 litre barrel (or 2) full of V-Power to the list of tools and equipment to take with us.

I have a short video of my fastest taped lap, plus a slight off at Redgate where we went ploughing! Iā€™ll get it posted up as soon as itā€™s hosted online.

Steve

with the weight your van has to lug around mate (not talking about the tools either) it will be a struggle to get over 30 mph. :rofl:

Only kidding slim :wink:

[quote]Iā€™d like to come to the next if theres gonna be a next 8)
[/quote]

Well i will be going again :smiley:

Julian.

[quote]

with the weight your van has to lug around mate (not talking about the tools either) it will be a struggle to get over 30 mph. :rofl:

Only kidding slim :wink:[/quote]

AYE BUT STEVIE THATS COS YOUR LASS IS IN WITH ME!!! LMAO :lol:

All the official Trakzone piccies from yesterday are supposed to be found on here www.imagination2image.co.uk just looking at em now :smiley:
Once on the site, click the link top left ( Donnington Trakzone )

Julian.

Thanks to Mr Nemesis, I now have my video online;

http://www.technicaltuning.com/gtonemesis/Donington271106.wmv

Right click and ā€œSave Asā€ please, itā€™s 35Mb! Itā€™s my first attempt at making a movie using Movie Maker, but once you get going it seems quite simple.

Oh, and hereā€™s the photo of the GTO hassling the Lotus Eliseā€¦

http://www.i2idonington.fotopic.net/p36471215.html

Steve 8)