ECU Location and Removal

Hi
Can someone please tell me the location of the ECU on My GTO Import 1991?

Many Thanks

it’s in the center console, behind and below the stereo head unit…

try here for more info;
http://www.stealth316.com/2-ecmremoval.htm

[quote]Thanks Mate
They do’nt make it easy do they!!! :lol:[/quote]

It’s actually very easy to remove.
When both side panels are off I think there are 3 screws securing the unit, 3 electircal plugs and it’s out.
Make sure you disconnect the battery prior to starting…
Should take about 15mins to remove…tops.
Marty

yeah, and the little screws (on mine at least) seem to have been fitted by some kind of special tool which can exhert infinte torque on them. I think then someone put a little blob of weld on the end of them just to stop me turning them :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers,

Ben.

[quote]yeah, and the little screws (on mine at least) seem to have been fitted by some kind of special tool which can exhert infinte torque on them. I think then someone put a little blob of weld on the end of them just to stop me turning them :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers,

Ben.[/quote]

Have you got these undone yet?
If not try clamping the ECU in a vice(protect the ECU and don’t crush it)
Instead of using a screwdriver use a bit and a ratchet handle.
Put some serious pressure on the screws and turn…do not allow them to round off.!!!
It isn’t difficult but yes…they have been tightened by a Maternal Angry Gorrila. :roll:
Marty
Ps. Homer…you should know by now…easy on these cars is a relative thing :roll: It’s easy compared to most jobs on the GTO.

One of the screws would NOT come out of mine… an yess I ended chewing the head out.

The heads on the screws are quite pronounced though, so I got a small set of Stillsons on them (5" or 6")

I was replacing the caps, unfortunately I had the wrong phsical size but think I have sourced an purchased the correct ones now… I will open it again soon.

JC