Ethonol 85

so, my exhaust readings are a bit high for the mot test, I heard that putting E85 (40%) mixed with 98 (60%) will lower the emissions.

What are the draw backs of using this fuel in the car? will my car even like it?

should have no problems if you want to run with a mix for a short period for extended use you would need to swap out virtually all the plastic /rubber parts that may be in the fuel system with alcohol resistant equivalent ie fuel lines and possibly some injector parts Orings ect
fuel consumption will go through the roof but it should bring down your emissions’ but bare in mind it will also be running slightly leaner too
hope it works for you

If thats all thats wrong with it Bet him £50 it passes when he compares the emissions from the cars exhaust in the next mot bay
:wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

[quote]so, my exhaust readings are a bit high for the mot test, I heard that putting E85 (40%) mixed with 98 (60%) will lower the emissions.

What are the draw backs of using this fuel in the car? will my car even like it?[/quote]

Hi,

There a few people using ethanol mix and getting good results and performance, ideally you would retune the AF mixture to get best results and for MOT tune it on the lean side… But there are other things you can do to get through the Mot. You can use cataclean a few days before. You can make sure the car has had a good spirited 30-40 minute drive before the test and you can wrap the cat in a heat blanket to keep the temp up and ask them if they can do the exhaust test first etc.

Chris

I have quite a bit of experience researching the use of bio-fuels.
The comments regarding the rubber and plastic parts are well founded, they are not designed for use with alcohol and break down fairly quickly (usually over a few months).
Also - don’t forget that the energy density of Ethanol is about 40% lower than petrol - kind of defeats the purpose of owning a fast car.

Also you may find you get electrical issues with the pump - I’m no expert on the GTO pump to be honest and it does depend on the type of pump they have fitted. Basically petrol conducts electricity whereas Ethanol does not.

In Renaults for example part of the electrical current is passed thorugh the fuel and when the conductivity of the mixture drops below a certain level the pump will fail. for the Renaults its about 60% (I.E. you need at lease 60% petrol for the pump to operate - the rest can be Ethanol and the pump will still work).

This may or may not happen with the GTO - I would recommend that to test it you start will lower mixture and increase it incrementally.

The change is sudden and easily reversible by adding some extra petrol.