Forum Etiquette & Rules for avatars and signature images

Forum Etiquette:

As the forums have grown in depth and quality, more and more repeat posts are appearing.

Where possible, the most regularly raised posts have been moved to the ‘Technical FAQ’ forum, where you should check in the first instance.

If your question is not resolved there, the next thing to try is the forums comprehensive search facility : simply click on the button at the top of the forum, put in (a) relevant search word(s), click on the button to search for ANY or ALL of the entered terms (words) then click search and all previous entries related to your problem will be listed for you to browse.

Here are a few useful examples of keyword search phrases:

Wheel bearings
TPS
Hesitation
Turbos

Here is an example of a bad search phrase:

my engine makes a lot of noise at 40mph

Finally, if your question still remains unanswered, please feel free to post your question. You will need to have registered ON THE FORUMS before you can post a new message or respond to an existing one… just click on the button at the top of the screen, choose your own user ID and password and you’re away… please remember to update your profile, to include a rough location of where you are - the town/county you live in will do … this way, other local members may be able to help out if you have a problem!

For a general overview of the forum facilities, click the FAQ button at the top of the forum.

Forum usage rule … there’s only really one rule … if you have a point to make, please be sure you have all the facts which you can back up.

There are guidelines too …be polite and considerate to other club members,

Don’t use the technical forum for ‘offline chat’ … it’s there for technical advice and the more ‘off topic’ posts that are in there, the more cumbersome and difficult to navigate it becomes.

Don’t respond to a post (in particular technical posts) with “yeah - I get that too” - the person raising the post may have asked to be “notified on response” - they have a look at the response expecting a solution and see “yeah - I get that too”.

Don’t keep adding something pointless to a post just to bring it back to the top of the list.

Do try to keep it reasonably clean and inoffensive - there is a ‘word filter’ on the forums, but there are other ways to be offensive.

Do keep an existing topic ‘on topic’ - it’s no good starting a thread on ‘how do I fit my brake pads’ which goes on to tell you about how to reduce your exhaust emissions.

Do try to post in the right forum … “Anyone know a dealer in Kent” belongs in ‘general’ not in the ‘technical forum’

I’m sure there’s more - it’s all really down to a common sense approach.

Many people like to add images to their signature and use custom avatars. However, we have had various unsuitable images used in the past so we are introducing a couple of rules:

1. All images shall be of an appropriate nature, i.e. images you would be happy for your 10 year old son to see. Many people access this site from work, hence inappropriate images (e.g. parts of the female anatomy) can cause embarrassment. So please give careful consideration to the images you use.

2. Please limit the size of your images to prevent the page width from being screwed up. If your image is too wide, the forums resize the page and it’s not possible to read the end of each line without scrolling to the right. This is extremely annoying and will lead to complaints from various users (myself included). Not everyone has widescreen monitors I’m afraid or runs their monitor at 2048x1600 resolution. So please limit your images sizes to the following widths:

Avatar images: Maximum 150 x 150 pixels and 25KB
Signature images: Maximum 400 x 250 pixels

Thanks for taking the time to read this message.

Please note that, as a standard member, you are not allowed to advertise goods & services from your business in your forum signature.

If you work for a business that does wish to advertise on the forums then we recommend you apply for a Trader account. A trader membership allows you to advertise whatever you want to the members and gives you your own special section on the forum. Please PM any committee member to apply for Trader membership.

If however you don’t work for a business and you wish to sell low volumes of products, then we have a section of the forum for http://www.gtouk.org.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=55. Advertisers in this section are requested to make a small donation to the club if repeated sales are made.

Dan.