Gearbox/transmission oils

Originally posted on Aimoo - http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=308930&CategoryID=19539&startcat=21&ThreadID=9937

[quote]hello ,i have a mitsubishi gto twin turbo six speed 1996 .i am haveing new pinion seal fitted in rear differential ,could somebody please tell me what make and spec of oil should go back in it .as nobody seems to know

thankyou[/quote]

[quote]Straight from www.3si.org:

TRANSAXEL
For the manual transmission (transaxle), regardless of FWD or AWD, you want a gear oil with a viscosity of approximately 75W90 with a rating of GL-4 (GL-5 may be hazardous to your synchronizers). Appropriate oils would be Redline MT-90 or BG UltraGuard. Some people, myself included, have used lighter gear oils (lower viscosity) such as Redline MTL or BG SyncroShift. Other people have tried Mobil1’s 75W90 product but this is apparently a GL-5 formulation and therefore you may want to avoid it. These are all synthetic gear oils. You can use a non-synthetic 75W90 if you want to, but… why would you want to?

TRANSFER CASE

For the transfer case, you want a gear oil with a viscosity of approximately 75W90, and it is unknown (to me, anyway) whether the GL-x rating of the oil is relevant (I suspect that it isn’t, especially since there are no synchronizers present in the transfer case - however, the service manual calls for GL-4). There is a single product which most of us use in the transfer case: Redline Shockproof Heavy (not to be confused with Redline Shockproof Light or Redline Shockproof Superlight - make sure you get the Shockproof Heavy!). Redline’s Shockproof Heavy is nominally rated as a 75W90 but in terms of its maximum performance, Redline claims it can be rated all the way up to 75W250. That’s serious high-temperature protection.

DIFFERENTIAL

For the rear differential, you want a gear oil with a viscosity of 90, 85W90, 80W90, 80W, or 75W depending on operating temperature, and a rating of GL-5 or higher (GL-6 is the highest I’m aware of at this point, although I believe some manufacturers are rating their oils as “GL-6+” to indicate that they exceed GL-6 by a fair margin). There is no strong consensus on the gear oil of choice for the rear differential, primarily due to the fact that rear differential problems are extremely rare on the AWD cars. I’ve personally never heard of anyone ever having a problem more serious than an oil leak from the rear differential on our cars. Some people use Redline Shockproof Heavy in the rear differential. Personally, I’m still using the stock oil from the factory.

CAPACITIES

On an FWD transaxle, you need about 2.4qt.

On an AWD transaxle, you need about 2.5qt (1st generation) or 2.6qt (2nd gen).

For the transfer case (AWD only), you need about 0.29qt (1g) or 0.32qt

(2g). NOTE: I recently changed my transfer case oil for the second time, and I decided to inspect my old oil, so I captured it. Once I had it all out, it seemed to me that I had an awful lot of it, so I measured how much came out, and I had about 0.52qt in there! I can’t explain this discrepancy.

For the rear differential (AWD only), you need about 1.16qt.[/quote]

[quote]Hey, Simon, whats the conversion for qts to litres, you been on the Yankee sites too much!!!

Ewan.[/quote]

[quote]Now In Litres!

TRANSAXEL
For the manual transmission (transaxle), regardless of FWD or AWD, you want a gear oil with a viscosity of approximately 75W90 with a rating of GL-4 (GL-5 may be hazardous to your synchronizers). Appropriate oils would be Redline MT-90 or BG UltraGuard. Some people, myself included, have used lighter gear oils (lower viscosity) such as Redline MTL or BG SyncroShift. Other people have tried Mobil1’s 75W90 product but this is apparently a GL-5 formulation and therefore you may want to avoid it. These are all synthetic gear oils. You can use a non-synthetic 75W90 if you want to, but… why would you want to?

TRANSFER CASE

For the transfer case, you want a gear oil with a viscosity of approximately 75W90, and it is unknown (to me, anyway) whether the GL-x rating of the oil is relevant (I suspect that it isn’t, especially since there are no synchronizers present in the transfer case - however, the service manual calls for GL-4). There is a single product which most of us use in the transfer case: Redline Shockproof Heavy (not to be confused with Redline Shockproof Light or Redline Shockproof Superlight - make sure you get the Shockproof Heavy!). Redline’s Shockproof Heavy is nominally rated as a 75W90 but in terms of its maximum performance, Redline claims it can be rated all the way up to 75W250. That’s serious high-temperature protection.

DIFFERENTIAL

For the rear differential, you want a gear oil with a viscosity of 90, 85W90, 80W90, 80W, or 75W depending on operating temperature, and a rating of GL-5 or higher (GL-6 is the highest I’m aware of at this point, although I believe some manufacturers are rating their oils as “GL-6+” to indicate that they exceed GL-6 by a fair margin). There is no strong consensus on the gear oil of choice for the rear differential, primarily due to the fact that rear differential problems are extremely rare on the AWD cars. I’ve personally never heard of anyone ever having a problem more serious than an oil leak from the rear differential on our cars. Some people use Redline Shockproof Heavy in the rear differential. Personally, I’m still using the stock oil from the factory.

CAPACITIES

On an FWD transaxle, you need about 2.3L.

On an AWD transaxle, you need about 2.3L (1st generation) or 2.4L (2nd gen).

For the transfer case (AWD only), you need about 0.27L (1g) or 0.3L (2g)

NOTE: I recently changed my transfer case oil for the second time, and I decided to inspect my old oil, so I captured it. Once I had it all out, it seemed to me that I had an awful lot of it, so I measured how much came out, and I had about 0.52qt in there! I can’t explain this discrepancy.

For the rear differential (AWD only), you need about 1.1L.[/quote]

1 Like

To add to this, oils i have used in the gearbox and transfer box include Castrol Syntrac, Valvoline Durablend and Castrol Taf-X, these are all 75w90 GL4 spec oils but you must ensure that you get the GL4 spec as they do them in GL5 spec also which you do not want. Of course there is the Redline products also.

Mark.

1 Like

Some more information from a thread http://forum.gto.club/t/oil-change/4704,

[quote]…this is the gen from Mitsubishi, whom i take my guides for servicing, seeing as they built the ■■■■■■ thing i will tend to trust them.
The manual 5 speed box capacity is 2.4 litres, the accompanyimg transfer box is 0.27 litres which equates to a distance of between 11 - 13mm from the bottom of the filler hole. This is as read on the service manual, section 22 page 51.

Mark.[/quote]

[quote]As pictures speak a thousand words, here’s some snippets from the service manual (pages 00-48 and 00-49) for post 1991 cars.

The gearbox, showing the fill and drain plugs,

How full the gearbox should be,

The transfer box on pre '93 cars,

The transfer box on '93 onwards cars,

Finally, the oil levels on transfer boxes,

Note that on the '93 onwards transfer box, you need to check the level using the level check plug on the side of the case, not the distance from the oil fill plug.

Also, the level needs to be checked with the vehicle on a level surface.

Steve[/quote]

2 Likes