GTO been offered to me

Hi this is my first post so I hope it’s ok to ask for some advice here. A little about me. I already own an FTO which I really like. However I really like it’s big brother the GTO, it seems that most people want the twin turbo though and this car is non turbo.

I’ve been offered or rather I found out about a GTO local to me that’s stored in a garage, NO MOT or TAX, with quite a nice number plate on it that could be worth a grand or two. What I want to ask is if this seems like a reasonable deal >

The owner is an elderly gentlemen who has a few classic cars, he bought the GTO a couple of years ago and hasn’t used it. I’ve been and inspected it for about 20 minutes. The exterior and especially the interior are immaculate. It’s a MK1 (pop up headlights) and isn’t a twin turbo, just the standard non turbo. The car is silver and has 62,000 miles on the clock. The owner is asking around £2,500, and he said he will pay to get it through the MOT if I buy it, if it needs any work doing.

So what I’m asking is a non turbo K reg GTO with 62K on the clock, which appears to be in excellent condition worth £2,500? It’s an automatic, there’s Japanese writing on a sticker on the automatic gearbox, so it’s definitely a Jap import, unless of course they all are and this has no relevance. There’s no guarantee the number plate would be worth that much, however I can tell that it has some value above the standard price for a number plate.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil,

It depends what you are after I know of very good quality twin turbos with similar mileage. A non turbo for that money would have to be special in my opinon.

Look at the price that this one below is at and look at the quality that is the sort of gto non turbo I would expect for that kind of money. A mk1 for £2500 is probably more than I would want to pay unless there was something special with it.

Cheers,
Neil.

Thanks for your reply. I think the only special item with the car is the number plate, but as I’m not the owner of the plate I can only hazard a guess as to what it’s worth.

The exterior is decent, one slight ding on the drivers door, a superficial one and the faring in front of the rear arches is slightly coming away, I’m sure it could be pushed back in to place. I looked underneath the car there appears to be surface rust on the underneath of the car in front of the wheel arches, I don’t think this is of concern. The interior is really excellent though, it looks like it hasn’t been used.

I think I could possibly convince this chap to get the price down to £2,000 or nearer to that value.

The car is stored in a very smart garage, it even has carpet in the garage lol, it appears the car has been well looked after and there’s nothing on the V5C to indicate that the number plate can’t be transferred.

I’ve not made any decision I’m just weighing things up, there’s no way that I will be driving the car uninsured and without tax to get it MOT’d and then Tax’d so if the chap wants me to do that, then it’s a no sale and he’s keeping it.

The car started first time and it ran, there was a bit of carbon smoke for a few seconds then it was the usual faint light smoke you’d get from the exhaust, the car was backup right up against a wall too.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil

Welcome to GTOUK , condition of the cars is key here , if I was in the market again for one condition would be my priority as if you buy a bad one you will get stung , there are certainly some TT’s knocking around for circa 2k and while some of these might be a bargain I would bet most are not and require money spending on them .

The N/A auto would be last on my list tbh id prefer a manual just purely because the autoboxes can be problematic if they have been unloved and they are old technology now .

I would factor in getting the full cambelt kit done along with an uprated cooler for the autobox if you are tempted by it , Main thing I guess would be to get the chap to get it MOT’d that way you know what you are up against if it fails , on that proviso though I guess if it passes he will want you to purchase the vehicle .

Get yourself out there and have a drive of a few both Autos and manuals in N/A form and a TT so you have some comparisons

Regards

Craig :slight_smile:

[quote]Hi this is my first post so I hope it’s ok to ask for some advice here. A little about me. I already own an FTO which I really like. However I really like it’s big brother the GTO, it seems that most people want the twin turbo though and this car is non turbo.

I’ve been offered or rather I found out about a GTO local to me that’s stored in a garage, NO MOT or TAX, with quite a nice number plate on it that could be worth a grand or two. What I want to ask is if this seems like a reasonable deal >

The owner is an elderly gentlemen who has a few classic cars, he bought the GTO a couple of years ago and hasn’t used it. I’ve been and inspected it for about 20 minutes. The exterior and especially the interior are immaculate. It’s a MK1 (pop up headlights) and isn’t a twin turbo, just the standard non turbo. The car is silver and has 62,000 miles on the clock. The owner is asking around £2,500, and he said he will pay to get it through the MOT if I buy it, if it needs any work doing.

So what I’m asking is a non turbo K reg GTO with 62K on the clock, which appears to be in excellent condition worth £2,500? It’s an automatic, there’s Japanese writing on a sticker on the automatic gearbox, so it’s definitely a Jap import, unless of course they all are and this has no relevance. There’s no guarantee the number plate would be worth that much, however I can tell that it has some value above the standard price for a number plate.

Regards

Phil[/quote]

Hi,

I would say without the number plate as we don’t know what it is or what its worth! often that are not as valuable as people say. the car alone i would say £1500 tops if its on the road and running without issue.

The SR non turbo Nas as linked to is a cracking buy for the price and a well know car in top condition.

If you want a TT then this seller says he will now take offers of £2500…

Chris

[quote]Hi this is my first post so I hope it’s ok to ask for some advice here. A little about me. I already own an FTO which I really like. However I really like it’s big brother the GTO, it seems that most people want the twin turbo though and this car is non turbo.

Regards

Phil[/quote]

Hi,

I would say without the number plate as we don’t know what it is or what its worth! often that are not as valuable as people say. the car alone i would say £1500 tops if its on the road and running without issue.

The SR non turbo Nas as linked to is a cracking buy for the price and a well know car in top condition.

If you want a TT then this seller says he will now take offers of £2500…

Chris

Thanks you’ve been really helpful. With regards to the number plate, I can’t give out the reg as it’s not mine to give out on a public forum, all I can say is that it’s in this format >

KXXX HOT where the X are three numbers which are the same number.

Hi and welcome to the club.

Mk 1s in fairly decent/ average condition NA can be got about £700

Also out of interest the plate might not be worth what you think… For example the cheapest plate you can buy from DVLA is £250
I just found
W888 HOT on DVLA website for £499
There are 28 HOT plates available in DVLA right now.

I’m not trying to knock what your looking at just would hate for you to think something’s worth more than it is.:slight_smile:

If you can get any pics of the car… Specifically underneath… Rust is a massive issue on the older cars now :slight_smile:
If you read the buyers guide on the forum here
http://www.gtouk.org.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=15
It might help a little

Good luck :slight_smile:

Yes I think this is an exercise in caution. I’m sure the chap is a nice decent guy and I know people that know him, however I can’t test drive the car, the car isn’t worth £2,500 if the plate isn’t worth as much as he thinks it’s worth.

I’ve got two cars already, but you know how it is once you have the car bug, you can end up broke and I will end up broke if I make bad decisions on cars :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help. I’ll play it this way, and tell him thanks but no thanks and leave my number with him to see if he doesn’t sell it for a long while, he might be able to come down on the price considerably.