GTO engine knocking buy or pass?

Hello all,

New here, currently looking at purchasing a GTO. I’ve seen several on Facebook marketplace. One in specific ticks all the box’s;

• MK1
  • Good milage
  • Looks stockish
  • Not completely destroyed

However, the post states that the top of the engine was rebuilt recently by previous owner and is now knocking? I have asked for a video. But was wondering how bad could this be? I assume the previous owner must done the rebuild wrong. Any advice would be great!

I know the one, it’s a grey one right? was looking at it myself (starting to think i’ll never own a TT.)

Best case scenario is its a lifter or accessory pulley or something.
Worst case scenario it has rod or main bearing damage which has gouged the crankshaft, necessitating a new one or a regrind.
Without checking it in person and removing the sump to check for loose big ends, or looking for glitter in the oil, who knows.

I think it was the black one that just got reduced in price?? I am hoping it’s just a lifter that means it would be easyish fix. If it’s the other scenario I have no idea how much that will cost lol. Plus don’t know if the guy will let me look at the oil at a viewing either. Been looking at a couple on FB as they don’t really seem to be on sale on any other website.

Hi @jack3 ,

Good luck with the search take a look at the buyers guide and take it with you.

The lifter tick… Well insist on a few things when viewing. One is a cold start and see how the seller starts it. Also insist on a test drive it’s ok if the seller insists on driving it - what you’re looking for is does the noise get quieter when the car is driven and disappear when warmed - if not be very careful about buying it. Don’t be scared to walk away there will be others for sale.

James,
Club secretary

Cheers for the advice!

I do just that. I’m sure some others will turn upnto!