GTO second gen headlights

Hi all i have a really good set of headlights from a second gen GTO make me an offer

They are USA Left Hand Drive headlights so no good for anyone in the UK

I find that quite interesting, was not aware of that, did not think that a vehicle’s headlight assembly differ from LHD or RHD regardless of make, model, year and market. Can you provide information on where one would find literature on this?

In addition, these headlights could very well be from a LHD GTO considering I did not mention that these were from a RHD GTO. So what would be the procedure to make the comparison since you seem to have significant knowledge on this.

Sorry meant to say RHD GTO, regardless, RHD or LHD how can one tell the difference?

Power them up pointing at a wall 10 metres away and look at the shape of the beam. The upper edge of the light output on at least one of the headlights will be chamfered to avoid blinding people driving in the opposite direction.

Yes perhaps so but if you read my message it states very clearly that literature needs to be provided to support various changes in headlight assembly design for RHD and LHD vehicles. So simply observing the beam of light does not conclude anything regardless on which side of the road you are on. I have lived in the UK and other European countries so I am pretty much familiar with vehicles made for the European market, however the first time hearing this about headlights.

I wouldn’t expect Mitsubishi to have documented the differences between headlights designed for different markets. They just need to design the headlight in accordance with the vehicle market legislation. For instance the requirements for the UK are document in section 4.1.2 here - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - 4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment - Guidance - GOV.UK

I believe the key difference would be the aperture shape behind the dipped beam lamp lens. Some markets may have a higher default aim level for the dipped beam (the US does from my experience).

2 Likes

I am well aware of the strict European vehicle codes for exterior lighting, however, as far as head lights are concerned, not sure of the much newer models of today, but older JDM and European models have provisions for beam adjustment regardless where the steering wheel is located inside the vehicle. In addition my posting does not mention which market model that these projector headlights have come off from, however, I would think that anyone that may be interested would first ask that vital question, and moreover GSXRKID automatically assumes it is from a LHD US model simply because I am a USA member? and insinuates that NO ONE owns a LHD USA GTO model in the entire United Kingdom that just may be looking for a replacement headlamp? As a member I would not ridicule ones post simply because I have my personal opinions. I would only ask pertinent questions regarding the item for sale, as simple as that.