Helloo.... About to buy my first GTO help

Always wanted a Jap, but something classic and beasty, looking set on a 3000gt, couple of questions if you guys can help

What should I be looking for when buying, like common problems.

How costly are they to maintain, I’m going to keep it unmolested, love the clean look.

Thank you guys

Black hole for money, so if you want one guess you better have plenty of cash, if you are going to buy one spend the money on a good one as you will save money in the long run and have less issues as well.

One of the most difficult things to advise on, they are extremely complicated and get abused spending more does not always mean a great car! Have seen many that have had thousands spent then sold then being parted out this year especially.
I went for a car that had engine rebuilt then dealt with all the f ups after that £2400 winter buy to 6k a year later but it’s worth it :+1:

I will second the black hole bit , I bought one cheep and im paying for it now in large amounts on regular occasions . I have rebuilt engine etc but still not on the road
Drive it and have it independently checked

Apart from the usual looking at cars stuff, when choosing a GTO you may want to factor in the cost of a cambelt change if it hasn’t had a recent one. Check for a slipping clutch on boost, not easy if you are not driving it yourself on a test drive. Top tip, before you view one for sale, make a list of all the things you want to check and go through it methodically, otherwise the excitement of owning one might take over the moment and you’ll part with more cash than you need to :wink: There is a buyers guide on here, have a look under Resources on the home page. If you’re not sure of anything specific then post it up cos there’s a whole lot of people in GTOUK who would be willing to provide some expertise and good advice.

Cheers

Mick

Hi,

Just few months ago I was in the same position and can honestly saying no hard core car expert. I spent some time going to look at them and get a feel for the car. Also mick is right the gto buyers guide was very useful I read it several times, printed it out and took it to every viewing with key points highlighted. Luckily I bought mine and factored in the cost of a 60k service at eurospec2000 and they went over the car with a fine tooth comb and touch wood it drives beautifully every time. Good luck with the hunt and just take your time and don’t get pushed into buying something your not sure about as the right car will come along.

Good luck,

James