I am the proud new owner of a shiny GTO but …

1996 GTO import N/A auto.
Hi everyone! I was going to post some pictures and introduce myself. I didn’t think I would need any help yet but now I am in a bit of a panic.

What have I done? I had promised my other half I would sell my immaculate, ultimate 300zx, we needed the cash. I suppose sadly it was time for it to go, I got a really good price for it so was almost happy. I drove it round to the buyer and in the guy’s yard was a shiny blue GTO. I asked if it was for sale. Not really, but He said he would think about it. A few days later I got a phone call and we agreed a price. Another few days and it was on my drive. I have never ever brought a car on impulse before! I felt like the lad who was sent to the market to sell a cow and came back with some magic beans. My wife is just about talking to me.

The car is in good overall shape a little more underside corrosion than I would like, but it is 20 years old. It has covered a genuine 46k miles, history to prove this. The interior is immaculate no wear everything works. One odd bit of history is that it has had a timing belt/kit change at 40k and again at 42k! It has a new stainless exhaust system sounds good, nice light weight split rim alloys, it gets many admiring looks.

So Here is the problem, after several weeks of good running the dreaded ABS light has come on, stays on, does not flicker. I had no warranty from the seller, sold as seen which reflected in the price. I have taken it to a local garage for a diagnostic test. The codes have come up as 33,34,37 and 39. All to do with rear ABS sensors I think. The garage does not want to do the work as one of the sensor bolts has in the past been sheered off. They also say the parts and labour may out value the car!! The car has an agreed insurance value of £3,500. Can any one help? The MOT runs out in June, the previous MOT had no advisory’s. My options are to try and find second hand rear sensors and get them fitted by another garage. The hubs would have to be drilled out and re-tapped. Salvaged replacement hub units might be cheaper. Any suggestions?

Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy welcome to GTOUK

sorry to hear you are having problems already but it’s not as serious as your garage is making out , certainly not be more than he car is worth anyway !!!

Where abouts in the country are you , we can give you some options then

Regards

Craig :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey welcome to the club.
Where are you in the country?
Take it to a garage that knows these cars, everyone here would recommend Eurospec in Guildford (well worth the drive even if your 300miles away!)

It could be the abs computer, from memory it’s by the drivers seatbelt mounting behind the trim.

As for the timing belt… It could just be someone being very thoro when they bought the car, how many owners had it had? We always recommend getting them done if it’s not had or it’s unknown to have had

1 Like

Welcome to the club. Don’t panic when I bought my car the abs light was on and took it to eurospec in Guildford. Turned out it was one of the sensors which cost around £130 (new) and about an hours labour to fit.

As already said for repairs on these cars you really want to take it to someone who knows these cars or you can end up in a world of pain.

James

1 Like

As far as the timing belt goes it’s not just mileage but age as well , seeing how little miles the car has done it could have been due for age reasons

1 Like

I’m sure I have seen a few posts where it has been redone due to water pump not being changed at the time and has started to leak?

2 Likes

Yeah mine was like that! 89,000 can belt done, no water pump, at 92 I had the water pump done too

1 Like

Does the light come on with the ignition and never go off? Or, does it light up and then go off once it has done a self check? If it goes off and comes back on as you drive it is likely to be a sensor or the ABS pump/relays.

The sensors can be checked by unplugging them and measuring the resistance across the terminals, they should all be similar. If it is a sensor, they tend to range in value from £100 - £180 depending upon which one you need. They are all different, so a front left won’t match a front right or either rears so you have to get the exact one.

Hi, thanks for that info I am about 50 miles from Guildford so I will be on the phone to them Monday. :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi, thanks for that info I am told the fault codes are picking up both rear sensors. Odd they both go at the same time.

Where abouts are you based?

Well one of the reasons the sensors go is if they get knocked or damaged when doing the brakes - that is what happened with mine. When I bought the car it had recently had a full front brake service and sure enough it was a front sensor.

James

I am based near Worthing - south coast.

Good point. I was told a rear calliper was refurbished. Perhaps that has something to do with the problem.

Andy

Nice I’m over near Andover.

Yeh I think that’s gonna be the issue. So shouldn’t be too big a job to fix.

James

Strange to get both go

They are not unplugged are they?, as this will also throw up a code as well

Just a thought

Cheers Rob

Thanks guys, the car is now booked in at Eurospec for a full inspection and fault scan. They were really helpful and reassured me they can sort the problem out with three options depending on how much I want to spend.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome. You are not far from me. I moved from worthing to littlehampton last year. Nice to see a few more locals popping up. Where abouts near worthing are you?

Hi, not far Goring by Sea. What motor have you got?

Top guys and they will see you right at Eurospec for sure

Yeah not far at all. I drive through goring on my way to work every day. Will have to keep an eye out for your car. I’ve got a mk1 twin turbo. Have a look at my build thread for some pictures. If you go into the garage section it is in there. Called Yuki the blue mk1 or something like that. There are a couple more members around. @wkd_rich11 is in Littlehampton and @crizdee is over Brighton way. Nice to see some more around. Get some pics up of yours mate!

Hey man welcome to the club, I drive to Hove from littlehampton everyday (not in the Gto every day tho) I’ll keep an eye out for ya, when u see a silver mk1 with a mk3 spoiler that will be me.

Richard

1 Like