Insurance Advice Needed

yeah i thought of just getting some clapped out low insurance group car and get insured on that to give me some no claims just still means i have to wait is all… im not the most patient person in the world

I know that waiting can be a pain, but do you really want to pay more to insure a car than it could cost you to buy it? And if something did happen to the car, heaven forbid, how much would you get back? Probably less than it was worth, and less than the premium!

I’m not trying to put you off GTO/3000GT ownership, you only live once so you might as well enjoy it! :smiley: But similarly, don’t let that enjoyment be spoiled by having to find horrendous sums of money for insurance before you can even use the thing!

On top of that, don’t forget that these things aren’t cheap to run. My GTO TT used to quite happily munch through £55 of fuel every week (when it was running), and that’s about 250 - 270 miles worth. A cambelt change that I had done for me that lasted 2.5 weeks before it f****d up (slipped a few teeth, I think) has just cost me over £1k to repair, and that’s just the raw components (although I did buy more than was absolutely necessary).

I know I’ll sound like a right old git (of 28!!), but I made some very bad financial mistakes when I was your age 'cos I couldn’t wait for anything, and I’m still paying for it now. And I’m not talking a couple of grand, you could buy a new TVR for less than I owe. :frowning:

Sorry if this seems like a lecture, it’s not meant to be. I really hope you manage to sort it all out and get what you’re looking for, but don’t be too hasty…there’ll still be plenty of GTOs in a few years time!

Mark

yeah i wasnt going to get one at that sort of level insurance sadly its just i prefer the mark 1s and by the time im say 21 when it will be a little more realistic they will be at least 12 years old and dont know how much i want a car thats that old

My GTO will be 14 at the end of the year (built in 1990), and it’s older than the car that it’s replacing (1992 Mk3 Astra GSi). Thing is, the GTO is in better condition and it’s done less miles!

If I remember right, the bodies on the GTO are fully galvanised, so unless there’s been a bump, rust won’t be much of an issue. Remember these were range-topping cars, and were £45k brand new. Big money doesn’t always mean quality, but other than my cambelt slipping (which believe was due to shoddy work), I’ve had no issues with mine and nor did the previous owner.