Is it normal to pass an MOT with no cat?

My car doesn’t have a catalytic converter - it was like that when I bought it from muppethill motors but it passed the MOT emissions test fine. Is that normal? Am I supposed to have one anyway or is it OK if the emissions are low enough?

1 Like

any vehicle manufactured before august 92 it will not need a cat for the MOT if the emmissions were low enough I’d say it will pass, are you sure the MOT station carried out a CAT emissions test.

Tony

1 Like

[quote]any vehicle manufactured before august 92 it will not need a cat for the MOT if the emmissions were low enough I’d say it will pass, are you sure the MOT station carried out a CAT emissions test.

Tony[/quote]

Mine is a 95 so I hope it’s OK not to have a cat, I don’t really want to get a VDRS or worse if I get stopped and the car is checked over. Yes, I’m positive they did the emissions test.

If your MOT included the emissions test, you’d have been given the MOT Exhaust Emissions Test Results sheet as well as the green pass document.
I think your '95 should have a Cat. However, maybe the test emissions were very good without the Cat in any case, and thus the examiner overlooked that.
It is extremely unlikely - though not inconceivable - that you’d be pulled for not wearing a Cat. I’d make a few more enquiries. If you need one let us know, I have a TT Cat available (this is courtesy of Tony/Enigma - the previous respondent).

Mike

[quote]any vehicle manufactured before august 92 it will not need a cat for the MOT if the emmissions were low enough I’d say it will pass, are you sure the MOT station carried out a CAT emissions test.

Tony[/quote]

What he said and yes, it should have a cat. Sounds like you either have a friendly MOT man or one that doesn’t know the rules.

OK, thanks chaps. I don’t think the MOT place is especially friendly so maybe they just passed it on the results of the emissions test without checking for a cat.

The exhaust is a full aftermarket system so I don’t think a std TT cat would fit but thanks for the offer Mike.

Maybe I need to get the car lowered so it’s more difficult to see underneath it :wink:

I’ll see if I can find one that will fit the car somewhere.

There were some changes from 95 to 96 that might have meant the tester could squeeze it through i.e. more difficult to pass a 96 car than a 95 one, also the gto does not come up on the regular list of cars [3000gt does as it is a uk car] so again this might mean a friendly tester will have a bit of leeway. If it is tested as a 3000gt I am sure it wont pass without a cat. My car got listed as a 3000gt and it took several calls to vosa to get changed back to gto as it was originaly and then it was easier to sort according to my tester. Make sure they do not class the car as a 3000gt if its a gto.
Good luck cheers Jerry

[quote]I own a Honda CRX Civic Del Sol 1992 K reg and I am having a stainless steel exhaust built and fitted. The fitter has said to me because the car is a 1992 model and the law that governs the catalytic converters for the MOT came into effect in 1993, the car does not fall into this law, and I could remove the cat and it would still pass the MOT. Is he correct or will it fail the emissions Test. Thanks, Ben.

Your fitter is not quite correct. The MOT regulations say nothing about a vehicle having a catalytic converter. They merely set emission levels which have to be achieved if the vehicle is first used after a specific year. Certainly some cars with every efficient engines could achieve the required emission levels without a catalytic converter. However in your case, if your vehicle’s year is before the break year, then should the cat be removed, in all probability it should not affect the MOT. – MOTT[/quote]

Taken from here

I also though (and stand corrected) that ALL imports were tested as non cat tests, that’s why you must make sure a GTO is never tested as a 3000GT…it will fail the stricter emissions.

I have the definitive answer to this on two pdf files. Taken from an official copy of the MoT tester handbook. As I dont know how to upload PDFs onto here - I’ve converted it to bitmap.

Hope this is of some help ?

That’s very helpful, thanks Spanners :slight_smile: