Looking to get my first GTO

We’ve just been to see the car.
Overall reasonable condition but has had a poor repair to passenger side rear quarter. Hardly any rust on the shell.
Coolant low and sludgy. Radiator has evidence of a leak.
Brake fluid was overfull which we suspect is from pushing the pistons in to free the brakes off after it having been stood for 13 years. Brake discs were cleaner than you’d expect for sitting that long.
One of the intake hoses was off and they said they had got it to start before. But we concurred that no spark now.
Clifford alarm wiring in engine bay was cut, along with a load of wiring under the dash and near the ECU.
Clicking from engine while ignition on.
Aircon unit broken.
Tops of doorcards cracked, like most.
No spare wheel.
No fuel cap.
SRS light on.
No check engine light.
Active aero light constantly lit with ignition but not sure how they’re supposed to function.
Turns over with jump pack but doesn’t start due to the spark issue.
We suspect it’s all to do with the alarm so too much of a project for us.

2 Likes

Indeed, I did spot this earlier on in my research. Very useful info.

Thanks for sharing Joe.

Yeah, at 2k i was tempted, but I think I would also be biting off more than I could chew with this one.

1 Like

If it helps - when I first put Hoopy Loopy together it wouldn’t crank at all after looking I decided the old alarm was causing the issue. Not having any idea about how to remove it etc… I contacted an automotive electrician- he just happened to know GTOs really well (used to do wiring on them when imported at Southampton docks) - basically he put the wiring back to stock removing the alarm and she fired right up. It cost me about £130 which to be honest was money well spent.

Completely agree it’s a car worth saving if you know someone good at electrics. Putting it back to stock would be the way to go. I think it’s sold now regardless. It seems there are a fair few GTOs about at this price point that have similar alarm/wiring issues. How far does the auto-electrician you used travel?

He covers Hampshire and parts of Wiltshire. Certainly not a national service. The company is JVS auto electrical - has a Facebook page - but I notice their website is down - he might have stopped doing it etc…

1 Like

A member ‘thinking’ of selling, based in Birmingham.

https://forum.gto.club/t/thinking-of-selling-valuation/85392

Tracie

Thanks for the heads up Tracy, will take a peak.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies and messages so far guys.

The search continues, I’m going for a test drive of a mk1 on my shortlist sometime next week. The only real question mark when we went to look the first time was a coolant leak.

I was wondering if there were any quick checks we could do when we get there to diagnose the leak and gain a bit of insight (short or tearing the poor man’s engine bay apart!)

Main bit would be look at the floor, if its not been raining and the plastic under cover, look at the hose condition all over, might give you some idea of what to expect

1 Like

We’ve made a purchase, the one with the coolant leak.

Drove it back (gingerly) an hour down the road last night. Odometer is approx 75,000 miles/ 120,000km, no other issues to my untrained eye whilst driving down/

Lots of coolant was lost on the drive/ overnight. Fluid was dripping under the driver side, below the expansion tank, and from the driver-side wheel arch.

Topped up fluid and started this morning. Big belt squeal, which wasn’t present when viewing or test driving. My first thought was water pump leak/ failure? have yet to start taking stuff off, but didn’t see any record of pump replacement.

If there are any guides for diagnosing coolant leaks on here that people can link me to, would be very much appreciated. I’ve seen lots of posts up, so it seems like quite a common issue.

4 Likes

Congratulations on your purchase.

Regarding the coolant leak if it’s driver’s side look at all the radiator hoses - the lower one especially as that is close to the areas you described.

The water pump is on the passenger side - if you’re changing this do a full timing belt service- can certainly save you a lot of headache later - especially if no evidence of it ever being done.

Just a final comment- perhaps start a new thread in the general or technical sections of the forum as now you have the car you’re no longer a newbie :joy:

James

1 Like

Thanks James, will do.

@luke3 if you do get your water leak fixed - it would be great to meet you and your car at one of our events - here is the next one up at Santa Pod:

also we have our Christmas party which you’re more than welcome to attend up in Kegworth:

Cheers,

James

2 Likes

Thanks James, I am super keen to come down for Japshowfinale if I can get it sorted.

I’m taking a look at the leak on Tuesday together with my mechanic, see if we can figure out what’s what. :+1:

Hi nice purchase there,regarding the leak if its below the expansion tank it could be the expansion tank itself as there is a rubber seal underneath and could have perished,radiator hoses then potentially the heater hoses or the throttle body too the hoses that come out the thermostat housing the fittings are metal and rust over time and leak,best is to remove the battery and tray remove the maf and the y pipe and intake hoses for a better view

2 Likes

Really nice Tahiti Blue MK1 car only made two batches of this colour in 1992 and 1993 quite a rare colour !

Congrates on buying one if you need any parts give me a cool

Regards Rob

3 Likes

Well done @luke3, car looks a beaut. I think you really bought that colour to match the house, only joking mate, enjoy and hope its a quick fix for the water leak.

Terry :sunglasses:

1 Like

Makes sense, will defo add this to the to-do list =]

Also check rad cap
If perished it can cause coolant to blow out through expansion tank overflow pipe which comes out below expansion tank
Jensen

2 Likes